Turned into the biggest construction in former Yugoslavia, this part of Belgrade unexpectedly developed into “a city within a city” and became the most densely inhabited municipality in the country. Despite being considered “ a large dormitory” in ex-Yugoslavia, with its urban planning based on international ideas and architecture, Novi Beograd has grown into a unique and authentic municipality. The reflection of an era, its ethics and esthetic, illustrate the qualities and limitations of the architecture of that time in the best possible manner.
Although being recognized as a symbol of the so-called socialistic architecture, Novi Beograd is a metropolis which continues to thrive and grow.
The construction of Novi Beograd was started by Youth Brigades in 1948, and five years later in 1953, the municipality was established. As part of the Youth Brigades, in the first three years of its inception, approximately 200 000 high-schoolers, students, workers and engineers from all parts of the former Yugoslavia had participated in the construction of this part of Belgrade.
The most striking building, commonly known as the “Western Belgrade Gate” is located beside the freeway leading to the airport “Nikola Tesla”.
Palata Srbija, previously known as the Palace of the Federation, had been officially opened on the occasion of the First Conference of the Non Aligned countries, held in Belgrade in 1961. Presidents Josip Broz Tito, Gamal Abdel Nasser and Jawaharlal Nehru planted the first sycamore trees at the Friendship Park in the Alley of Peace. Afterwards, most of the presidents and leaders, such as Queen Elisabeth II and Fidel Castro, on their visits to the former Yugoslavia, partook this tradition.
The largest congress center in our country and region is a modern venue of great reputation. Its activities include the organization of many cultural and business events.
Beogradska Arena (currently, the Štark Arena), is a modern, multipurpose venue for sport, culture, entertainment, concerts, exhibitions, fairs and other events.
Business center “Ušće” is located opposite the Peace Park (commonly called Ušće pаrk). Previously, it was the Headquarters of the Central Committee of the communist party in former Yugoslavia. On the turn of the century, it was reconstructed and renamed the Business Center Ušće. Its extension is the largest shopping mall in Belgrade.
Along the Danube, at the edge of the Peace Park, there are walkways and bike lanes leading to Zemun.
Buses & Trams: numerous bus & tram lines go to the various parts of Novi Beograd, which is very well connected to the other areas of Belgrade. Most of the buses leave from Zeleni Venac.