Belgrade was never lacking for water because of its rivers. Drinking fountains were an integral part of the city from the earliest days and they served as important meeting places for the citizens of Belgrade in the past.
Public drinking fountains can be found in numerous places in Belgrade, some struggling against the centuries, some brand new and polished. Belgrade has 39 public drinking fountains with potable water piped from the Belgrade waterworks. Five fountains were built on springs. Belgrade also has 18 ornamental fountains, the first of them built in 1927 on Terazije, at the former tram turn and removed in 1947 during the reconstruction of the square.
The first public fountains were built along the lines of the Roman waterworks in the distant past and became sculptural works of art during the 15th century, such as the Vizier’s Fountain built by Mehmed-Pasha Sokolović on Kalemegdan in 1576.
Fountains were also built along the line of the Bulbulder waterworks, constructed in parallel with the stream bearing the same name. There were 18 fountains along this line alone during the 19th century, with the best known being: Čukur, Saka and the Fountain of Skadar.
One of the oldest fountains in Belgrade is the Delijska Fountain mentioned as early as the 17th century. Another fountain was built in its place at the beginning of what was already Knez Mihailova Street in 1843, but the name remained. It was demolished in 1889. A fountain reminiscent of the old one was built during the reconstruction of Knez Mihailova Street in 1987.