The building of the National Museum stands on Republic Square, on the most prominent location.
The part of the building facing Republic Square, was built in 1902, designed by Andra Stevanović and Nikola Nestorović. The building was completed in 1930, when the reception hall, today’s atrium, was completed. The building suffered considerable damage during World War II, while it was reconstructed after the war, but lacking the dome. The building regained the dome and the interior was reconstructed during the nineteen-sixties, through the efforts of the manager of the National Museum of the time, Doctor Lazar Trifunović, and the building fully serves its purpose today.