Surčin, the newest of the Belgrade municipalities, is located to the southeast of Belgrade, between the Belgrade-Zagreb highway and the Sava River.
It encompasses a surface area of 220 km² and consists of seven villages with a population of approximately 40,000. Surčin is the first Belgrade destination to be encountered by all those coming from the west by car, bus or airplane. The territory of the municipality is home to the Belgrade Airport.
The Aviation Museum was founded in 1957 aiming to preserve items of importance to the beginnings and development of aeronautics in the region. The museum is among the top ten institutions of this kind in the world regarding the number and value of its exhibits. The museum contains over 200 aircraft, 130 aircraft engines, several radars, rockets, various aeronautical equipment, over 20,000 books and technical documents and more than 200,000 photographs. A universal cinema projection room with 120 seats is located within the museum, as well as a souvenir, model and aeronautical literature shop. Visitors can refresh themselves and rest in the museum club. Professional guides will lead you on a tour of the museum.
The Fenek monastery is located in Lower Srem, between the villages of Jakovo and Boljevci. Fenek was always closely tied to this group of Serbian monasteries, both by its creation and historical destiny. The founding of Fenek is related to the time of Despot Stefan Lazarević, who ruled the region and during whose time the cult of St. Petka flourished. The first church is presumed to have been built on this location during the 15th century. Earliest mentions are found in a script dating from 1563, when the monastery was already developed and books were being transcribed. A number of renowned historical persons have visited Fenek.
The Golden Cross is located on the right side of the road leading from Jakovo to Boljevci – a stone monument, rectangular in shape and rounded at the top, 2 metres tall. This border-stone of the former estate of the Fenek monastery, set up in 1747, is popularly called “Golden Cross”. During the struggle against the Turks and fleeing their repression, Serbs fled across the Sava to the territory of the Habsburg Monarchy, rushing to reach the border-stone of the Fenek monastery where they felt safe.
The Bojčin forest is filled with oak, ash, linden and hornbeam trees. Bojčin was used by the citizens of Progare to raise cattle, particularly pigs. Cattle were set loose to roam the forest feeding on acorns and grass. “Kolebas”, woven from sticks and covered in hay, can still be found in this forest. Bojčin was also a refuge for the population of the surrounding villages and other outlaws throughout its tumultuous history. During World War II it was an important stronghold for the freedom fighters, as evidenced by the dugout bases, as well as the memorial plaque at the entrance to the forest. Bojčin is currently an attractive picnic ground where numerous manifestations are held.
The Živaća Lake is a river lake, a backwater of the Sava River. The lake was turned into a fishing pond and contains diverse freshwater fish stock. The Vok Canal regulates the water level in the lake.
The Black Grove (“Crni lug”) is located in the Boljevci village, 28 kilometres from the centre of Belgrade, in the immediate vicinity of the Sava River. It is a hunting ground in the beautiful forested environment of this flatland region. The total surface area of the hunting grounds is 1,055.22 ha. It is rich with deer and wild boars.
Srem Leap (“Sremački preskok”): Јakovo – Salaš Stremen, international competition in obstacles courses, accompanied by a number of other events related to horses and life on a salaš (estate).
Fijakerijada is held in the Bojčin forest. This parade of fiacres and carriages displays how well the horses are paired and set up with their cabbie and equipment. The Fijakerijada is also accompanied by other programs.
Srem Days in Boljevac present the values and tradition of Srem to future generations. Day by day, hour by hour, cultural, artistic and entertainment events are held.
Strašilijada Boljevci held at the Day of the Ascension of the Virgin Mother is a traditional exhibition of scarecrows as part of old popular art, a part of folklore. Children, mothers, fathers, aunts, grannies and everyone else put in their best effort to make the most horrible scarecrow for Ascension Day.
The Short Form Theatre Festival in Boljevci is held during early October. The festival aims to promote short forms of theatre and new actors.
For more information contact the Tourist Oganization of Surčin, Kosovska 2, +381 69 69 06 90, www.opstinasurcin.org.rs