“25th May” Museum
The “May 25” Museum
Exhibitions of material from the Museum of Yugoslav History collection have been presented in this gallery, along with exhibitions and other events organised by the MIJ in collaboration with both local and international partners.
THE MAY 25 MUSEUM was purpose-built as a gift from the City of Belgrade to Tito, on the occasion of his seventieth birthday. It was officially opened on May 25, 1962. Gifts received by Josip Broz, both at home and abroad, were exhibited, curated, catalogued and studied in this museum until 1982. Its distinguishing feature was the permanent exhibitoin of batons. The May 25 Museum became the entry and exit facility of the Josip Broz Tito Memorial Centre (1982-1996), the major memorial complex established to preserve and nurture the memory of Josip Broz and to collect, catalogue and display documents and other items connected to his life and work.
Exhibitions of material from the Museum of Yugoslav History collection have been presented in this gallery space since 1992, along with exhibitions and other events organised by the MIJ in collaboration with both local and international partners.
From 1945 to 1987, May 25 was celebrated as the birthday of Josip “Tito” Broz. From 1957, on the initiative of Tito himself, the date was celebrated as Youth Day with a festival in the Yugoslav People’s Army stadium. May 25 became a youth review in which the physical and spiritual achievements of young Yugoslavs were presented at a rally which included the presentation of a baton to Tito as part of the event.
Museum working hours:
During summer period (April 24 to October 15) from 10.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. every day except Mondays.
During winter period (October 16 to April 23) from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. every day except Mondays.
The Museum is closed to the public on January 1, January 7, Easter Days.
Individual visit: 200 dinars
Students and pupils (showing the student ID): 100 dinars.
Children under 7, citizens of former SFR Yugoslavia over 70, ICOM members, members of official delegations and all visitors on the following dates: May 4 and May 25.
Within the museum there is a souvenir shop.