The National Theatre is located in the immediate vicinity of the National Museum.
It was built during 1868 and 1869, designed by the architect Aleksandar Bugarski, one of the most fruitful builders in 19th century Belgrade.
The decision to erect a separate building for the theatre was made by Prince Mihailo Obrenović. The building was modelled after the general type of theatre facilities of the time, particularly the building of the Milan Scala, borrowing its renaissance conception and decorative finish. Subsequent reconstructions completely altered the initial appearance. Thorough reconstruction was undertaken in 1986 when the theatre regained its appearance from 1922, along with additional expansion towards Braće Jugovića Street. In addition to theatre plays, charity balls and concerts were held in the building during the 19th century. It was the place where the Great Constitutional Assembly voted in the famous 1888 Constitution.