Created in 1824, very first Belgrade market, named after Saint Andrew, was in the vicinity of the road for Stamboul, at the Student`s Square, which was then the center of social life. As agreed, both Serbs and Turks were able to present their products and soon the “Great Market” became the main trading place in Belgrade.
Today in Belgrade, there are 32 markets covering the area of 165.000 m2, divided according to the exclusivity of their locations in to: extra, first, second and third zone. The history of Belgrades`s market is the history of Belgrade, which the JKP ”City Market” initiative wants to preserve and as well adapt to the needs of the times in which we live.
One of the most important and as well one of the most visited sites of any part of Belgrade, the lifeblood of each of Belgrade`s municipalities. For residents of Belgrade joy of Sunday morning, a family tradition of even just an excuse for coffee after a made purchase, and for visitors of our city an opportunity to bring home something authentically Serbian and homemade.
When you want to see the real life of a city, the city markets are the place to go, they are meeting place for people from all different social classes. At the market everyone is the same, they came for what they need, which they will certainly find at one of our market.