Share this page

Museum of Illusions
Museum of Illusions

The Museum of Illusions in Belgrade brings you a space suitable both for social and entertaining tours into the world of illusions which has delighted all generations. It’s a unique place for new experiences and fun with friends and family. Not only is it a place for children who adore coming, but also a place for parents, couples, grandmothers and grandfathers. Simply a place for everyone! See what else we offer, you won’t believe your eyes! Be brave enough to jump in a illusion created by the Vortex Tunnel! It will drive you crazy and make you believe you’re heavily...

House of Jevrem Grujić
House of Jevrem Grujić

In the very center of Belgrade, a unique house with over two centuries of tradition, tells many stories and hides secrets of one of the most prominent diplomatic families in Serbia. Meet "Serbian Mona Lisa", masterpiece portrait of Queen Natalija Obrenović. Explore the arms collection of great Serbian heroes from 1st and 2nd uprising: Hajduk Veljko and Tanasko Rajić. Enjoy a cup of tea/coffee in a unique environment surrounded by royal gifts, unique artworks and period furniture between 16th and the 19th century.  Walk through salons where famous city balls were organized and modern...

Zemun
Zemun

Once a separate town, Zemun has been a municipality within the city of Belgrade since 1945. People have settled the area of Zemun as far back as the Neolithic, using the favourable position of the banks of the Danube and the Sava. The toponym Zemun arose with the arrival of the Slavs, based on the dugouts (“zemunice”) the first settlers lived in. The history of Zemun as a town in the contemporary sense of the word originates in 1717 with the arrival of the Austrians and its joining the Habsburg Monarchy. It became a significant fortification against Turkey and developed as an...

Sales Art Gallery Beograd
Sales Art Gallery Beograd

The Sales Art Gallery Beograd, based in Belgrade, Serbia, since 1963 combines organization of exhibitions and educational programs in the field of theory and praxis of modern and contemporary art, publishing activity and promotion of professional publications that give an insight into the history and  trends of visual arts in Serbia. It is founded by the City Council of Belgrade and  is the oldest sales art gallery in Belgrade as well as in the region. For almost half a century it features Serbian an ex Yugoslav artists. The Gallery is specialized in the sale and promotion of...

Restaurant Question Mark
Restaurant Question Mark

The oldest of Belgrade inns, The Question mark, is located in Kralja Petra Street 6 and is one of the symbols of Belgrade. Erected in 1823 as the property of Prince Miloš Obrenović, it was built by “masters from Grezia” in the Balkans style. It had changed owners and names since 1878. First it was called “At the Shepherd’s” in 1878, then in 1892 “At the Cathedral Church” but church authorities protested so the owner put the question mark sign at the door as a temporary solution and it remained there to this day. It housed the first billiards...

Savamala
Savamala

One of the oldest parts of Belgrade, the first to be built outside the walls of Belgrade Fortress and the first that most visitors encounter as it is located next to the train and bus station, Savamala was also once the center of the city. After the pedestrian zone was moved to Knez Mihailova Street, Savamala lingered as an industrial district. Decades later it was transformed into one of the most popular parts of Belgrade, and is now known as an urban design neighborhood. Savamala’s name comes from the river Sava and the Turkish word "mahala", which means settlement or a small...

Museum of Aviation
Museum of Aviation

The Museum of Aviation was founded in 1957 with the intent of preserving material evidence of importance for the birth and development of aeronautics in this region. The attractive museum building is located on the plateau of the “Nikola Tesla” Airport and contains over 200 aircraft, 130 aircraft engines, several radars and rockets, aeronautical equipment, 20,000 books and over 200,000 photographs in its collections and funds....

Danube and Sava
Danube and Sava

Danube is one of the greatest rivers of the world, second only to Volga in Europe, with its length (2850 km) and branching tributaries (120 tributaries). It passes through Serbia along 588 km of its flow, it is navigable throughout its length and represents a natural link to Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria. The Sava River is 945 km long, with 207 km flowing through Serbia, connecting Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republika Srpska and Serbia....

Bridges
Bridges

There are seven bridges in Belgrade, six across the Sava (New Ada Bridge, Old Railway Bridge, New Railway Bridge, Old Sava – Tram Bridge, Branko’s Bridge and the Gazelle) and one across Danube – the Pančevo Bridge. The Gazelle Bridge is the longest and busiest bridge over the Sava and in Belgrade. This passenger bridge, nearly 3 kilometres in length and traversing the old and new part of the city also connects the north of Serbia with the south. Construction of a bridge across Ada Ciganlija is inshed, with the first passengers crossed it in New Years Eve 2012. Another...

Great War Island
Great War Island

Located at the very confluence of Sava and Danube, it represented an important military-strategic point in the conquest and defence of Belgrade ever since ancient times. Thus the Turks, during the first siege of Belgrade, assaulted the Belgrade Fortress from this island in 1521. Karageorge’s insurgents used the island for military purposes in 1806, during the liberation of Belgrade, as did the Austro-Hungarian army during their conquest of Belgrade in 1915. Thus the adjective “war” in the name of the island.  The Great War Island currently holds weekend houses and...

White Palace
White Palace

White Palace was built between 1934 and 1937 by the architect Aleksandar Djordjevic. The ground floor of this classicist building is a large ceremonial hall and a number of lounges furnished in the style of Louis XV and Louis XVI with Venetian chandeliers. There is also a court library, which had about 35,000 books and Formal dining room furnished in Chippendale style. As part of a court complex on the south side of the Palatine family church, which has a porch with columns associated with the building. The temple is dedicated to St. Andrew the First name (fame of family Karađorđević). The...

Museum of Toma Rosandic
Museum of Toma Rosandic

The museum is located in the house built in 1929 by the famous sculptor and pedagogue, the academic Toma Rosandić, who spent his life there. The artist left his atelier with a number of works to Belgrade and the Museum of the City of Belgrade. The museum houses sculptures by Toma Rosandić, sculpting tools, applied arts items and pieces of furniture (original works bearing the personal mark of the author), letters and personal documents....

Terazije Fountain
Terazije Fountain

Author: Franc Loran, stonemason (Terazije Square; erected in 1860)  It represents one of the most important monuments of 19th century Belgrade. It was moved to Topčider during work on regulating Terazije in 1911-1912. It stood there until 1976, when it was returned to its old spot....

Delijska Fountain
Delijska Fountain

Author: Aleksandar Deroko, architect (Knez Mihailova; erected in 1987)  The third Delijska Fountain to bear this name was built in Knez Mihailova Street during its reconstruction in 1987 and is a replica of the old Delijska Fountain. The first one was built in 1843 and torn down in 1889, when the second Delijska Fountain was built in its place. That one was demolished in 1913 when the building of the Serbian Academy of Sciences was built. The name “delijska” originates from the Turkish word for light cavalry - deli, as the fountain was used to water their horses....

Cukur Fountain
Cukur Fountain

Author: Simeon Roksandić, sculptor (Dobračina Street; erected in 1931) The monument belongs among the greatest works of Serbian academic realism. The old Čukur Fountain stood on the spot of the current one as one of the drinking fountains used for providing citizens with water prior to 1892 when waterworks were introduced to Belgrade. It is the location of a historic event – the conflict over the primacy in drawing water between Serbian boys and Turkish soldiers in 1862, when the Turkish soldiers killed one of the boys. This event initiated the bombing and liberation of Belgrade and...

Skadarlija Fountain
Skadarlija Fountain

Author: Milica Ribnikar, sculptor (Skadarska Street; erected in 1966)  Fountains have a noted place in the history of Belgrade as popular gathering places. A fountain from Turkish times stood in Skadarlija in place of today’s new fountain. Branislav Nušić noted in 1929 that beneath the arch of the aqueduct that spanned Skadarska Street there stood a small fountain with a single faucet. The new Skadarlija Fountain was built during the reconstruction of a number of facilities in Skadarska Street. The opening of the summer season is celebrated each year at this fountain with...

Sebilj Fountain
Sebilj Fountain

Author: Aleksandar Vitek, architect (Skadarska Street; erected in 1989)  The Sebilj Fountain at the lower end of Skadarlija is a replica of the Sebilj Fountain in Baščaršija, donated to Belgrade by Sarajevo in 1989. According to Ottoman tradition the Sebilj or public fountains were built on squares or crossroads....

Patriarchy of the Serbian Orthodox Church
Patriarchy of the Serbian Orthodox Church

The building of the Patriarchy of the Serbian Orthodox Church was built in 1935 at the former seat of the Metropolitan of Serbia (1847-1849). The current building was designed by the Russian architect Viktor Lukomski. The Patriarchy is the seat of the head of the Serbian Orthodox Church, and it houses the library and the Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church.  ...

Temple of St. Sava
Temple of St. Sava

Preparation for the construction of one of the largest orthodox temples in the world began in 1894. The temple was built on the location where, according to legend and on orders by Sinan-pasha, the remains of the first Serbian archbishop Sava were moved from the Mileševa monastery in 1594, there to be burned. Construction began in 1935, based on designs by the architects Bogdan Nestorović and Aleksandar Derok. Construction was halted due to the outbreak of World War II and the bombing of Belgrade, followed by the time of Tito’s communist Yugoslavia and thus the temple had to...

Church of the Ascension
Church of the Ascension

The Church of the Ascension can be found in Admirala Geparta Street 19. It was erected in 1863 on orders by Prince Mihailo Obrenović, for use by the soldiers from the Grand Barracks located nearby. The bell tower contains several bells, including the one first rang on the Cathedral Church in 1830 when the Principality of Serbia gained its autonomy....

Church of St. Mark
Church of St. Mark

The Church of St. Mark is located in the Tašmajdan Park. Built between 1931 and 1940 on the location of an old church from 1835, it was designed by the architects Petar and Branko Krstić. The church was built in a Serbian-Byzantine style. The design of this temple is reminiscent of the architecture of the Gračanica monastery. The south section of the nave contains the sarcophagus with the bones of the Serbian Emperor Dušan, moved here from his legacy monastery of the Saint Archangels at Prizren. The church houses one of the richest collections of Serbian icons from the 18th...

Church of Saint Alexander Nevsky
Church of Saint Alexander Nevsky

The Church of St. Alexander Nevsky is located in Cara Dušana Street 63. The first ideas for building a church in Dorćol arose in 1876, during the sojourn of the Russian volunteer corps of General Chernyayev. The mobile military chapel dedicated to the Russian saint Alexander Nevsky was brought to Belgrade, and a larger temple was constructed on the same spot in 1929, designed by the architect Jelisaveta Načić. The marble iconostasis is a gift from King Alexander I Karageorgevich....

Monastery of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin Mother

 Monastery of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin Mother


The Monastery of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin Mother is located in the Belgrade neighbourhood of Senjak, in Vasilija Gaćeše Street 8. It was built in 1937, designed by the architect Petar Popović. The monastery church was built in the tradition of Serbian medieval construction. The residence contains the Chapel of St. Nicholas with a woodcut iconostasis and icons from the period between the 18th and 20th century....

Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael
Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael

The Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael is located outside of the city centre, within the Rakovica municipality, at Patrijarha Dimitrija Street 34. The monastery was erected during the 14th century in the style of the Morava school. Historical records mention it from the 16th century onwards. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times. The narthex contains the family tomb of Jevrem Obrenović, while the grave of Vojvoda Vasa Čarapić rests against the northern wall of the narthex. The Patriarch Pavle was also buried there....

Monastery of the Holy Archangel Gabriel
Monastery of the Holy Archangel Gabriel

The Monastery of the Holy Archangel Gabriel in Zemun, in the City Park, was built in 1786. The iconostasis, carved in wood and gilded, was designed in a baroque style, with the icons created by the Zemun painters Dimitrije Bratoglić and his assistant Konstantin Lukić....

Church of Christ the King
Church of Christ the King

This small Catholic church-chapel is dedicated to St. Ladislav. It became the first county church and temporary cathedral. It was expanded to its current size in 1926 by the addition of the side entrances, choir and bell tower. Due to the efforts of Nuncio Pelegrinetti a church hall was added, as a gift from Pope Pious XI to the youth of Belgrade. New bells were then obtained and blessed, while the first organ in Serbia sounded off there in 1927, manufactured by the F. Jenko company from Šentvid near Ljubljana. It is still in use....

Church of St. Anton
Church of St. Anton

The Catholic church of St. Anton of Padua in Bregalnička Street was built eight decades ago and is one of the most beautiful works of the famous Slovene architect Jožef Plečnik. It is famous for the tower, tilted by 45 degrees against its foundations since 1960, and thus often compared to the leaning tower of Pisa. It is a county church operated by the Franciscans from the Bosnian province. It was erected in honour of St. Anton at the 700th anniversary of his death and it houses a statue of St. Anton, 275 centimetres tall, created for the main altar by the famous sculptor Ivan...

Synagogue
Synagogue

The Belgrade Synagogue is currently the only active Jewish temple in Serbia. It is located in the centre of Belgrade in Maršala Birjuzova Street 19. It was opened in the summer of 1926 and sanctified by the Rabbi Shlang. It was built on the grounds purchased from the City of Belgrade by the Society of Belgrade Ashkenazi Jews. According to the official plans, the building was to contain a synagogue, ritual baths, a school, offices of the Society and apartments for those employed by the Society. The synagogue today serves a small community of Sephardic Jews who remained in Belgrade,...

Bajrakli Mosque
Bajrakli Mosque

The Bajrakli Mosque was built in 1575 as one of the 273 mosques and masjids in existence in Belgrade during Turkish times. This mosque is presumed to be the oldest standing building in Belgrade. The Bajrakli Mosque is a single-room building with a dome and minaret. During the Austrian rule, between 1717 and 1739, it was turned into a Catholic church (most of Belgrade’s mosques were demolished at that time). Upon the return of the Turks it became a mosque once more. It was named Bajrakli Mosque near the end of the 18th century, after the banner (“barjak”) that was raised...

The Rose Church (Crkva Ruzica)
The Rose Church (Crkva Ruzica)

An old church of the same name stood here during the time of Despot Stefan Lazarević, but was demolished by the Turks during the capture of Belgrade. It is in a building which originally served as a gunpowder store. When the fortress passed into Serbian hands in 1867, it was converted into a church. The iconostasis is the work of the monk and painter Rafailo Momčilović. The works on the walls, which show scenes from the life of the Holy Mother of God and portraits of prominent people (Aleksandar Karađorđević, Nikola Pašić and others) are the work of the painter Andrej Bicenko....

Victor
Victor

Author: Ivan Meštrović (Belgrade Fortress; erected in 1928) Meštrović initially designed a sculpture to be set up as part of the drinking fountain on Terazije in 1912, but the public was against having a nude male figure set up in the city centre. After World War I the project was cancelled and thus the Victor was set up on Kalemegdan in 1928 and came to represent a symbol of Belgrade....

Monument to the Unknown Hero
Monument to the Unknown Hero

Author: Ivan Meštrović (on Avala; erected in 1938.) Monuments to unknown heroes were erected in all allied countries during the years after World War I, and Yugoslavia joined in this endeavour. The monument was built for four years and it holds the remains of an unknown hero. It is shaped like a sarcophagus on a plinth with six steps. Caryatids line the sides, symbolizing an honour guard....

Monument to the Defenders of Belgrade from 1915
Monument to the Defenders of Belgrade from 1915

Author: Kolja Milunović (Along the Danube banks, at the Sports Centre; erected in 1988) The monument bears the words of major Gavrilović’s order: “At precisely three o’clock the enemy is to be dispersed by a forceful advance, crushed by your bombs and bayonets. The honour of Belgrade, our capital, must be preserved. Soldiers, heroes, the High Command erased our regiment from its standing numbers. Our regiment has been sacrificed for King and Country. You have no need to worry for your lives, for they exist no more. Therefore, onwards to glory! Long live the King! Long live...

Monument to the Liberators of Belgrade 1806. (Karadjordje’s Park)
Monument to the Liberators of Belgrade 1806.  (Karadjordje’s Park)

The oldest of the public monuments in Belgrade was erected in 1848 by Prince Alexander Karageorgevich in memory of the liberators of Belgrade from the First Serbian Uprising. It was reconstructed in 1889 by King Aleksandar Obrenović....

Monument to the Conscripts of the Third Call
Monument to the Conscripts of the Third Call

Author: Stamenko Đurđević (Karadjordje’s Park) The monument was created by sculptor Stamenko Djurdjevic, 1923. year.They lifted him Conscripts of the Thurd Call Seventh Infantry Regiment National Army, in memory of their comrades killed in World War I....

Black Horses at Play
Black Horses at Play

Author: Toma Rosandić (Kralja Aleksandra Boulevard; set up in 1938) Composition ’’Black Horses at Play’’ created in bronze and placed in front of the Serbian Assembly. It is the work of the famous sculptor Toma Rosandića. Thus, the playful horses came before the Board Rosandića 1938th years and today there are the eternal watch. For this sculpture are two related anecdotes. The first is actually a joke, which is told in Belgrade that the two sculptures of the poetic names do not mean just the game and the struggle between man and nature, but to a man who symbolizes...

Monument to Vuk Karadzic
 Monument to Vuk Karadzic

Author: Đorđe Jovanović (Kralja Aleksandra Boulevard; erected in 1937) The monument to Vuk Karadžić, the great reformist of the Serbian language, was erected by the Belgrade municipality on one of the largest city squares. It represents a figure both humble and monumental, just as Vuk was, humble as a person, magnificent and inimitable as an author. Vuk Stefanović Karadžić (1787-1864, reformer of the Serbian language). Worked as a scribe in the Sovjet (Government) following the First Serbian Uprising, then as a teacher and state clerk. Left for Vienna after the failure of the...

Monument to Dositej Obradovic
Monument to Dositej Obradovic

Author: Rudolf Valdec (University Park) The monument was erected in 1911 in front of the former National Library in Knez Mihailova Street, and was moved to its current spot in 1930. Dositej is represented in mid-stride, with a cane in his right hand and a hat in his left. The monument bears the inscribed maxim: “Learning in stride, look to the centuries!" Dositej Obradović (1739-1811, writer, philosopher, pedagogue and national luminary). Left for a monastery as a young man, but later renounced his vows, travelled the world and studied at the universities of Europe. Ranks among the...

Monument to Ivo Andric
Monument to Ivo Andric

Author: Milenko Mandić (Andrićev Venac; erected in 1992) The monument to the greatest Serbian and Yugoslav writer of the 20th century, the Nobel Prize winner for literature, is located at a salient of the Pioneer Park, near the building of the Presidency of Serbia. As a sign of respect and in memory of the long-time fellow citizen, the monument was erected by the Ivo Andrić Foundation, the City of Belgrade and the Republic of Serbia to mark the one hundred year anniversary of the birth of our Nobel Prize winning author. Ivo Andrić (1892-1975, Nobel Prize winner for literature in 1961)....

Monument to Milos Crnjanski
Monument to Milos Crnjanski

Author: Drinka Radovanović (Kalemegdan Park; erected in 1993) A dominant spot on Kalemegdan is occupied by the monument to the writer Miloš Crnjanski, erected to celebrate the one hundred year anniversary of his birth. Miloš Crnjanski (1893-1977, poet, storyteller, novelist, drama writer). One of the most prominent representatives of the modern literary expression in Serbia after World War I. Worked as a professor and journalist and joined the diplomatic corps in 1928. World War II found him in Rome, whence he departed for London, only to return to Belgrade in 1965. He started...

Monument to Despot Stefan Lazarevic
Monument to Despot Stefan Lazarevic

Author: Nebojša Mitrić (Upper Town; erected in 1982) The bronze statue, 320 cm in height, depicts Despot Stefan. Belgrade first became the capital of the Serbian state during his reign. The monument was set up as a gift of the author to Belgrade on the 30 year anniversary of his artistic work. The plinth bears motifs with medieval symbolism and the inscription “I hath found the most beautiful place of antiquity, the overlarge city of Belgrade”.  Despot Stefan Lazarević (1377-1427, Serbian ruler). Became prince at the age of twelve, following the death of Prince...

Monument to Karadjordje
Monument to Karadjordje

Author: Sreten Stojanović (Plateau in front of the building of the National Library of Serbia; erected in 1979) A bronze sculpture, 320 cm in height and dominating the environment, was set up on a hill on a plateau in front of the National Library and the Temple of St. Sava, in memory of Đorđe Petrović – Karageorge. Đorđe Petrović (1768-1817, leader of the First Serbian Uprising). The Turks called him Karageorge – Black George. Once a shepherd in Šumadija, then a village cattle trader. Spent his youth resisting Turkish violence, first as a hajduk, then as a brave...

Monument to Prince Mihailo Obrenovic
Monument to Prince Mihailo Obrenovic

Author: Enrico Pazzi (Republic Square; erected in 1882) Mihailo Obrenović (1823-1868, Prince of Serbia). The son of Prince Miloš and Princess Ljubica, he first came into power following the death of his elder brother Milan (1839). The sultan confirmed him to be an elected, but not a hereditary prince. Toma Vučić initiated an uprising in August 1842 and forced him into exile, bringing Alexander Karageorgevich to the throne. He spent six years outside the country and during this time assisted many Serbs working in literature (Vuk Karadžić, Đura Daničić, Branko Radičević and...

Monument to Vojvoda Zivojin Misic
Monument to Vojvoda Zivojin Misic

Author: Drinka Radovanović (At the Belgrade Fair; erected in 1988 on the 70th anniversary of the breach of the Thessaloniki front). Vojvoda Živojin Mišić (1855-1921, Vojvoda - Field-Marshal, one of the most prominent Serbian military commanders). Took part in all Serbian wars between 1876 and 1918. During the Balkans and the early stages of World War I he was an assistant to the head of the High Command Staff. In the Battle of Kolubara he was the commander of the First Army, where he was particularly noted and received the rank of Vojvoda (Field-Marshal). During the breach of...

Monument to Vojvoda Stepa Stepanovic
Monument to Vojvoda Stepa Stepanovic

Author: Drinka Radovanović (Kumodraž, in front of Stepa’s birth house) Vojvoda Stepa Stepanović (1856-1929, prominent military commander). Took part in all Serbian wars between 1876 and 1918 in various positions of command. Commanded the Second Army during the Balkans War at Adrianople. During World War I he organized the mobilisation and concentration of the entire Serbian army. Thereafter he commanded the Second Army that crushed the Austrians on Cer (there to receive the rank of Vojvoda – Field Marshal) and was noted at the Battles of Drina and Kolubara, as well as the...

Monument to Nikola Pasic
Monument to Nikola Pasic

Author: Zoran Ivanović (Nikola Pašić Square; erected in 1998)  Nikola Pašić (1845-1926, politician and statesman). Became a civil engineer at the Polytechnic School in Zurich. A social-democrat during his early youth, thereafter taking part in the formation of the Radical Party and elected as the first president of its Main Council. Pašić spent 48 years in the political life of Serbia. He was president of the National Assembly, Prime Minister, president of the Belgrade municipality, envoy of Serbia in Russia… Pašić signed the Corfu declaration in...

Monument to Archibald Reiss
Monument to Archibald Reiss

Author: Marko Brežanin (Topčider Park; erected in 1931) Doctor Archibald Reiss (1876-1929, publicist, professor of the University in Lausanne, famous criminologist). Invited by the Serbian Government to conduct a survey of the Hungarian, German and Bulgarian atrocities from World War I. Lived on the Thessaloniki Front between 1916 and 1919 and grew so close to the Serbian people that he decided to remain in Belgrade forever. Received the Medal of Courage for his work, but Reiss always pointed out that the gratitude of the Serbian people was the sole reward for all that he has done during...

Monument to Petar II Petrovic Njegos
Monument to Petar II Petrovic Njegos

Author: Sreten Stojanović (Plateau in front of the Faculty of Philosophy; erected in 1994) Petar II Petrović Njegoš (1813-1851, bishop and ruler of Montenegro). One of our greatest philosophers and poets. As a young ruler brought order to the political environment in the country and around it: organized courts, obtained an increase in Russian assistance, established the Senate, erected the first primary school and founded a printing press. Raised on national epic poetry, he wrote poems of the struggle against the Turks....

Monument to Nikola Tesla
Monument to Nikola Tesla

Author: Frano Kršinić (Plateau in front of the Technical Faculty; erected in 1963)  Nikola Tesla (1856-1943, inventor of the alternating electrical current). Following his European education and service in Maribor, Pest, Paris and Strasbourg, Tesla left Europe forever in 1884. He left for New York, there to enter the environment of the most renowned inventors of the time, those that can be said to have “invented the 20th century”, accelerated technological development and changed the face of the Earth. Author of nearly 1,000 patents and inventions in the field...

Monument to Dimitrije Tucovic
 Monument to Dimitrije Tucovic

Author: Stevan Bodnarov (Slavija Square – the mortal remains of Dimitrije Tucović were moved and buried there in 1947) Dimitrije Tucović (1881-1914, leader of the social-democratic movement in Serbia). Graduated at the Faculty of Law in Belgrade. He was the chief editor of the party theory magazine “Borba” (“Struggle”) and a representative in the Parliament. Wrote frequently and with temperament, took part in international socialist meetings, translated from the German language. Died during World War I at the Battle of Kolubara in 1914, as an officer of the...

Kalemegdan Park
Kalemegdan Park

The oldest of the city parks was created in 1870. It is a green environment within and around the Belgrade Fortress, known as Kalemegdan Park, including the Great and Small Kalemegdan, i.e. the Upper and Lower Town. Recognizing the exquisite value of the salient ridge of Belgrade, the first Serbian urbanist Emilijan Joksimović proposed the idea that the City Field, Kalemegdan, be turned into a “wondrous park”. The first planting of Kalemegdan was undertaken between 1869 and 1875 and the main Sava Alley was planted in 1886. The monuments erected during the past hundred and fifteen...

Topcider Park
Topcider Park

One of the oldest parks in Belgrade, Topčider, is located in the valley of the Topčider River. The name Topčider stems from the Turkish word topči – cannoneer and the Persian word der – valley. An artillery camp once stood there where the Turks cast cannons to attack Belgrade in 1521, during the siege of Belgrade. Later it became the favourite picnic ground of the pashas of Belgrade. The residence of Prince Miloš Obrenović was built there during his reign, as the chief building of the residential complex. Accessways were built in parallel with the construction of the...

Pioneer Park
Pioneer Park

 The Pioneer Park is located in the very heart of the city. The field where the park is located was a barren and swampy environment during the early 19th century, covered in bulrush. The grounds were purchased by one of the more prominent persons in Serbia at the end of the eighteen-thirties, Stojan Simić, who constructed the house later to be named the Old Residence. It was sold thereafter, along with the gardens, to the state, to be repurposed as the court of Prince Alexander Karageorgevich.  The New Court was erected during the early decades of the 20th century, based...

Academic Park
Academic Park

The Academic Park is located on the Students’ Square. The location of the square was part of the civilian settlement of Singidunum during Roman times. There are few data on the appearance and function of the area during the middle ages. It was used for military exercises during the Austrian rule of Belgrade during the 18th century, while it served as a place for prayers during Turkish rule, as well as a graveyard that remained until the eighteen-sixties. During the third decade of the 19th century the Serbian authorities opened a market or “pazarište” on...

City Park in Zemun
City Park in Zemun

The Zemun Park is located within the protected area of the cultural-historical environment of the Old Heart of Zemun and is the oldest green oasis of Zemunians.  The beginning of the development of Zemun as a city is tied to the Austro-Turkish wars near the end of the 17th and the early 18th century. The most intensive development occurred after 1717 when the area became part of the Austrian Empire. In order to improve trading communication between Turkey and Austria, a “kontumac” was opened in 1730, a type of quarantine station for goods and persons crossing the...

Karadjordje’s Park
Karadjordje’s Park

Karadjordje’s Park is located on the slopes of western Vračar, in the exact spot where the camp of the main insurgent army of Karadjordje stood in 1806. During the charge against the Belgrade Fortress and its capture, approximately fifty insurgents were killed. They were carried to the camp and buried there on orders by Karadjordje. The graves of those killed were marked by their families with stone markers, some of them surviving to this day. The graveyard of the time was located next to the road to Kragujevac. It was fenced off and planted with black locust trees, thus it may be...

Manjez Park
Manjez Park

The Manjez Park, named after a riding school, is located in the city centre. It was the place where the barracks of the Regimental Guard Cavalry were located until 1931. The park was built between 1931 and 1933, based on the designs from the General Plan from 1923. The park planner, engineer Aleksandar Krstić, is a pioneer of modern horticulture in the region. The park is one of the few green environments in the heart of the city, built between the two world wars and shaped according to the principles of the classicist style....

Tasmajdan Park
Tasmajdan Park

The word tašmajdan means rock quarry or rocky field in Turkish, therefore the entire neighbourhood, with the quarry itself, was named Tašmajdan. A graveyard was formed in the area during the eighteen-twenties, remaining there until 1886.  Tašmajdan was designed as a city park by the general urbanist plan from 1950, with a sports and recreation centre at its lower end. The initial plans for part of the park were drawn by the architect Aleksandar Đorđević, while the horticultural plans were drawn by the engineer Vladeta Đorđević. The construction of the water...

Friendship Park
Friendship Park

A unique park started to grow and flourish on New Belgrade, where a new city was being born after World War II – Friendship Park, also known as Peace Park. It is located in the spot where a branch of the Danube meets the Sava. This part of New Belgrade is one of the most representative areas of the city. The park was created in 1961 at the initiative of the Youth Nature Conservation Movement (“Pokret mladih gorana”) of Belgrade, marking the First Conference of the Heads of States and Governments of the Non-aligned Countries. The central motif of the park is the Alley of...

Kosutnjak
Kosutnjak

The forest-park and picnic grounds of Košutnjak extend over a surface of 330 hectares, at an altitude of 250 m above sea level. The forest of deciduous and evergreen trees is crisscrossed by numerous footpaths. Košutnjak was likely named after does (“košuta”), once present in the forest. The thick forest was a closed palace hunting ground until 1903, when it was opened to the public.  Košutnjak contains two specially arranged complexes: the sports and recreation centre “Pioneer City” and the Film City with a complex of ateliers and...

Museum of Vuk and Dositej
Museum of Vuk and Dositej

Founded in 1949, it is located in the building of the former Grand School, opened in 1808 as a lyceum by the great Serb luminary and first Serbian Minister of Education Dositej Obradović. The museum contains a professional library, with a small reading room and consists of two parts – the ground floor contains an exhibit dedicated to Dositej Obradović, while the first floor is dedicated to Vuk Stefanović Karadžić....

Gallery of Frescoes
Gallery of Frescoes

...

Petar Dobrovic Gallery
Petar Dobrovic Gallery

...

Salon of the Museum of Contemporary Art
Salon of the Museum of Contemporary Art

   ...

Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church
Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church

   ...

Museum of Applied Art
Museum of Applied Art

The Museum of Applied Art was founded in 1950 and belongs to the category of art museums of a specialised type. In addition to national applied arts items the museum houses items from a number of other countries, collected through cultural and economic relations. The Museum of Applied Arts purchased a valuable collection of various artistically processed objects upon its opening, collected during a period of thirty years by the painter and engraver Ljuba Ivanović. The collection contained over 3,000 objects, the most prominent in terms of their historical and artistic value being the works...

Manak’s House
Manak’s House

Manak’s House is an integral part of the Ethnographic Museum, an example of old Balkan urban architecture, housing a particularly significant and valuable ethnographic memorial collection by Hristifor Crnilović. The collection contains approximately 2,600 items, mostly costumes and jewellery of immense cultural value. The costumes hail from the regions of South Serbia, Kosovo, Metohija and Macedonia. The collection is completed by examples of embroidery, textiles, towels, bags, carpets from Pirot and household items. The jewellery is particularly valuable, especially the jewellery worn...

Museum of the City of Belgrade
Museum of the City of Belgrade

A total fund of over 130,000 cultural-historical items is sorted into 14 sections, with exhibits from prehistory, a significant collection of antique culture, as well as a collection of engravings and maps of Belgrade from the 16th through 19th century. This treasure is waiting to be adequately presented to the public as evidence of the long and rich history of Belgrade. The Museum of the City of Belgrade also contains exhibits of cultural-historical (Residence of Princess Ljubica, Sekulić Icon Collection), ethnographic (Memorial Museum of Zemun and the Museum of Mladenovac) and...

Residence of Princess Ljubica
Residence of Princess Ljubica

Located in the very heart of Belgrade, on Kosančićev Venac. The Residence of Princess Ljubica was erected on orders by Prince Miloš Obrenović in 1831, as the private residence of his wife, the Princess Ljubica. The architecture and placement of rooms represent an example of the Balkans style, with a number of western baroque elements. The Residence houses the permanent exhibit “Interiors of Belgrade City Houses of the 19th Century” starting with the Oriental (Turkish), through the influence of Central (Biedermeier) and Western European (Neo-baroque, Neo-rococo,...

Memorial Museum of Ivo Andric
Memorial Museum of Ivo Andric

The museum preserves the memory of the Nobel Prize winning author Ivo Andrić. Part of the authentic ambient showing the everyday life of the writer is preserved, and various exhibits present the life of Andrić, as well as important stages in his creative biography.  In addition to representative documents (student’s cards, passports, certificates, diplomas, the Nobel Prize and medal, Vuk’s Awards, honorary doctorates) and photographs, the exhibit also displays original manuscripts of Andrić’s work, letters, various editions of books in local and foreign languages,...

Museum of Jovan Cvijic
Museum of Jovan Cvijic

The museum is located in the house built in 1905 by the renowned scientist-geographer Jovan Cvijić.The museological exhibit presents a representative part of the legacy of Jovan Cvijić, encompassing manuscripts, letters, photographs, books, applied art objects, artistic paintings, personal effects, documents and furniture.  ...

Museum of Paja Jovanovic
Museum of Paja Jovanovic

The Museum of Paja Jovanović is of a memorial type, located in an apartment of an old multi-story building in one of the main streets of Belgrade. The famous actor bequeathed the Museum a number of his works while still living, from initial sketches to representative portraits and historical compositions. The museum contains a partial reconstruction of his Vienna atelier with pieces of period furniture, along with painting tools, personal documents, diplomas and medals, notes and memories of the artist, a set of his letters and a photo library of most of his works.    ...

Sekulic Icon Collection
Sekulic Icon Collection

An authentic interior from the nineteen-twenties, the home of the collectors Pava and Milan Sekulić, houses the permanent exhibit of icons created during the past 500 years on the Balkans, in Italy and Russia.This unusual and valuable collection contains 165 Serb, Italo-Cretian, Greek and Russian icons, handmade in accordance with canons from the lives of saints.Portraits by Pavel Đurković, Konstantin Danilo and Arsenije Teodorović, as well as religious compositions by Stevan Aleksić, Jovan Kljajić and others represent 19th century painting, while 20th century painting is represented...

Museum of the Camp at Banjica
Museum of the Camp at Banjica

The Museum of the Camp at Banjica is dedicated to the memory of the prisoners and victims of the Nazi concentration camp from World War II. It is located at the authentic locations of the former camp (rooms 3, 25 and 26).  ...

Heritage House
Heritage House

The Heritage House is located in the house of the famous Belgrade merchant Veljko Savić, built in 1869 as one of the first modern single-story houses. It arose as the product of a multi-decade initiative by artists, intellectuals, experts and donors, wishing to unite in a single place the heritage and gifts presented to Belgrade from 1955 to this day.  ...

Museum of Theatre Arts
Museum of Theatre Arts

Various materials important for the national theatre can be found in the adapted house of merchant Miloje Božić, built in 1863. The museum exhibit contains archive materials and documents, letters, manuscripts, posters and programs, photographs, set and costume sketches, a library and a hermotheque (newspaper clippings).  ...

Museum of Pedagogy
Museum of Pedagogy

The Museum of Pedagogy was founded in 1896 by the Teachers’ Association of Serbia with the mission to collect and preserve teaching aids and all other assets of pedagogical and historical significance for primary schools and teachers.The museum was, unfortunately, completely destroyed in both world wars. The museum was rebuilt and modernised after 1945, and has been working since 1969 with the permanent exhibit “Ten Centuries of Serbian School in the Building of the Belgrade Lyceum (Realka)”. The visitors are introduced to the history of schools in Serbia from the...

Museum of the Yugoslav Film Archive
Museum of the Yugoslav Film Archive

The Museum of the Yugoslav Film Archive in Belgrade, founded in 1952, is a specialized film theatre showing classic works of local and international cinema.  The film collection of the Yugoslav Film Archive represents one of the most significant and plentiful film collections in Europe. It houses more than 85,000 copies of films, both silent and sound, black and white and colour. These are the most important archive materials and documentary footage related to the territory of the former Yugoslavia, starting with the oldest preserved local film “Crowning of King Petar I”...

Military Museum
Military Museum

The Military Museum in Belgrade is located within the Belgrade Fortress complex. Founded in 1878, it was first open to the public in 1904. It consists of a diverse collection of weapons and military equipment from various historical epochs, prehistory to modern times, with uniforms, national banners, flags and medals, as well as artistic paintings from the 17th to the 20th century. Among the more interesting items are Turkish lances and the armour of a Turkish vizier from the battle of Kosovo, a collection of old weapons, war banners and uniforms (including the uniform of King...

Residence of Prince Milos
Residence of Prince Milos

Having built a residence for his wife and children in the city of Belgrade, Prince Miloš Obrenović erected a residence for himself in Topčider during the period between 1831 and 1834. The rich interior decoration on the ceilings, walls and niches is partially preserved to this day. During his first reign Prince Miloš only resided there occasionally, while he spent the last two years of his second reign at the Residence, dying there in 1860.   One of the oldest and most beautiful sycamore trees in Europe grows in front of this building, over 160 years old and preserved...

Gallery of the Museum of Natural History
Gallery of the Museum of Natural History

The building housing the Gallery of the Museum of Natural History is one of the oldest buildings, erected between 1825 and 1835 within the complex of the Belgrade Fortress. It was built to be used by the sentries guarding the main approach to the Stambol Gate.  The remains of animals from the Ice Age (spiral twisted tusks of a woolly mammoth, the skull of a woolly rhinoceros, vertebra of a cave bear, horn of a giant deer) and fossil remains indicating that the area of Belgrade was the location of a warm Pannonian Sea fifteen million years ago (shells, corals, “beogradica”...

Jewish History Museum
Jewish History Museum

The building housing the Jewish History Museum was erected in 1928 for the needs of the Jewish Sephardic Municipality in Belgrade. The German Kulturbund was located in the building during World War II. The museum is currently located on the first floor. Through items, documents and photographs, this museum preserves the history of the 2,000 years of Jewish presence on the territory of the former Yugoslavia. It contains depictions of synagogues, graveyards, customs, the history of Jewish municipalities, Jewish societies and schools, notable persons and the holocaust.    ...

Railway Museum
Railway Museum

The museum was founded in 1950. The extremely valuable items show the development of the railroads in the country and the world. The collection includes several old locomotives: a locomotive from 1861, the Rama locomotive pulling the parade train for Sarajevo in 1882 and reconstructed to look as an engine from 1877, as well as the Milan locomotive, the first one built in Serbia, in Majdanpek in 1882....

Museum of Automobiles
Museum of Automobiles

The building housing the museum was built in 1929 as the first public garage in the city centre, designed by the Russian architect Valeri Stashevski. It was named “Modern Garage” and declared a cultural heritage item. It housed the automobiles used in the First International Automobile Race held in 1939 in Belgrade.  The collection contains a unique display of 50 old and rare automobiles – the oldest of them being a Marot Gardon from 1897, as well as the license plates, drivers’ licenses, the first traffic regulations and photographic recordings of the birth of...

PTT Museum
PTT Museum

Postal-telegraphic-telephonic museum functions as a museum within the Public Enterprise of PTT communications "Srbija". Museum deals with the collection, study, protection and exhibition of objects and documents related to the operation and development of PTT communications. PTT museum was created in order to preserve and protect items and information relating to the history of Serbian Post. The beginnings of collecting exhibits for the museum can be traced back to end of the 19th century, more precisely to 1887, when the provision was adopted according to which the Head of Postal and...

Roma Museum
Roma Museum

The Roma Museum in Belgrade was opened in 2009 at the initiative of the Roma Community Centre, with the financial support of the Belgrade City Assembly. The museum was thus far host to the exhibits: Alav e Romengo – written culture of the Roma, The Holocaust that Cannot Be Forgotten, An bibijako sastipe – To Bibija’s Health, Our Fellow Citizens, The Roma and the Roma St. George’s Day Meetings, containing the permanent exhibit – Roma Material Culture.  ...

Museum of African Art
Museum of African Art

This museum arose out of the collection of original art items collected by Veda Zagorac and Zdravko Pečar, PhD during their long stay in Africa, and presented to Belgrade in 1974.  The collection contains approximately 1,800 art items, mainly from West African countries: Mali, Guinea, Senegal, Upper Volta, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Cameroon and Nigeria. The items represent part of the traditional culture of the peoples: Dogon, Bambara, Malinka, Mosi, Bobo, Baula, Kisi, Baga, Dan, Gere, Senufo, Ashanti, Fon, Yoruba... It is a collection of cult, magic, decorative and practical...

Museum of Science and Technology
Museum of Science and Technology

The museum was founded in 1989 at the initiative of the academic Aleksandar Despić, the Serbian Academy of Science and Arts and the support of twelve economic organizations. The museum became an institution of the Republic in 2003, while in late 2005 it was awarded the building of the first public thermoelectric plant in Dorćol. The project for the reconstruction and expansion of the Museum of Science and Technology, by the author Boris Podreka, is being undertaken as part of the National Investment Plan of the Republic of Serbia. Despite the ongoing reconstruction, over 2,500 m² of...

Historical Archive of Belgrade
Historical Archive of Belgrade

The Historical Archives of Belgrade was founded by Decree of Executive Committee of National Board of the City of Belgrade issued on Session of Belgrade Assembly on September 26, 1945. The Archives keeps over 2.700 fonds and collections, precisely over 13 kilometers of records which includes period from XVI century and provides precious information on history of Belgrade and Serbia. The oldest fond is Semlin Magistracy (1749–1934) which records includes information on administrative organization from foundation in 1749 when Schönborn family bought the City of Semlin and...

Archive of Serbia
Archive of Serbia

The Archive of Serbia was founded in 1900 to protect, organize and process, as well as present for use and publish archival materials. Most of its funds are classified as Archival Materials of Exceptional and Grand Importance, with the oldest document being the Charter of Dečani (“Dečanska povelja“) from 1330.    ...

Archive of Serbia and Montenegro
Archive of Serbia and Montenegro

The archive of Serbia and Montenegro is located in the building of the Foundation of King Alexander I Karageorgevich, erected as the King Alexander Home for Secondary School Youth. The building was erected in 1933, designed by the architect Vojin Petrović. The Archive of Serbia and Montenegro has operated under this name since 2003, following the creation of the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, as the institution that continued performing the work of the Archive of Yugoslavia. The archive preserves materials from the period of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, the period of the Socialist...

Zepter Museum
Zepter Museum

The Zepter Museum was opened in 2010 in the representative building of the former First Croatian Savings Bank, in Knez Mihailova Street in the center of Belgrade. It is the first private museum institution in Serbia, with a collection of 350 artworks by 132 artists, which represents a complete view of Serbian art (painting, drawing, pastel, sculpture, installation) in the second half of the 20th century.    ...

Museum of the National Theater
Museum of the National Theater

The Museum of the National Theatre was established in 2010 in the reconstructed space, in the basement of the building, following the design of architect Milan Pališaški. The permanent exhibition comprises a historical  overview of the development of all segments of the theater art of the National Theater along with a thematic exhibition entitled Contemporary Costumography and Scenography on the Stage of the National Theater and The Greats of the National Theater on Postage Stamps. As part of the Open Door Drive every month visits to the Museum and the National Theater are...

Nebojsa Tower
Nebojsa Tower

In the annex of the Nebojša Tower the history of the Tower as a military facility that has been, ever since its construction around 1460, a part of the defensive system of the city. The exhibition on the ground floor is devoted to the history of Nebojša Tower as a prison, while the one on the first floor is dedicated to personality of Rigas Feraios, a great Greek poet and a revolutionary who died in the prison of the Tower. The topic of the exhibition on the second level is the First Serb Upraising and the creation of the modern Serbian state at the beginning of the 19th...

Museum of Contemporary Art
Museum of Contemporary Art

Since its foundation in 1965, the Museum of Contemporary Art has based its display policy on the representation of the most relevant artists, periods, movements and tendencies in Yugoslav, Serbian and international art of the 20th century. The Museum collection began to form around the time of the establishment of the Modern Gallery and at the opening of the Museum, the collection counted 3.500 works of art. Today the fund consists of 8.000 works and represents the most relevant collection of art from the Yugoslav art space, which existed from 1900 to 1991. The Building of the Museum of...

Old Palace
Old Palace

The Old Palace of the Serbian Obrenović dynasty was built between 1882 and 1884, designed by Aleksandar Bugarski in line with the architecture of academism of the 19th century. It was built for the needs of the newly formed Kingdom of Serbia headed by King Milan Obrenović with the intention of overshadowing all contemporary Serbian ruler residences. The appearance of the palace was significantly altered compared to the initial design after the reconstructions following heavy damage sustained during both world wars.  The Old Palace was the residence of the Karageorgevich dynasty...

National Museum
National Museum

The oldest of museum institutions in Belgrade was founded in 1844 at the initiative of the Serb writer Jovan Sterija Popović. The founding of the National Museum coincides with the rise of the civic culture and the establishment of the state institutions of the Principality of Serbia. The National Museum in Belgrade, a complex type museum, is the most significant, oldest and central museum of Serbia containing 34 archaeological, numismatic and historical collections at this moment, after 160 years of growth and development. The museum collections contain over 400,000 archaeological and...

Belgrade Fortress
Belgrade Fortress

The Belgrade Fortress changed and developed throughout the centuries, it saw many armies, was the field of many battles, it witnessed the brutality of the conquerors and the courage of the tireless defenders of the city. It was the place where Belgrade started to develop. The Fortress was built in stages, during the lengthy period between the 1st and 18th century, from a Roman castrum, through a Byzantine castle and the remains of the medieval capital of the Serb Despotate, all the way to an Austrian-Ottoman artillery fortification. The complex consists of the fortress itself, divided into...

Museum of Natural History
Museum of Natural History

The Museum of Natural History was founded in 1895 under the name “Jestastvenički muzej“, as the first specialized institution dealing with the natural heritage of the nation. The first exhibit was opened in 1904. A temporary location houses the natural and cultural heritage in 117 naturalist collections, with approximately 1,500,000 various items from Serbia, the Balkan Peninsula, and the world. The mineralogical, petrological, fossil and recent mollusc, insect, bird and mammal collections stand out regarding the number of items, along with the General Herbarium of the Balkan...

New Palace
New Palace

The New Palace was built for the residential needs of the Karageorgevich dynasty during the period between 1911 and 1922. The building was designed by the renowned Belgrade architect Stojan Titelbah, upon the site of the demolished Palace of the Crown Prince Mihailo Obrenović.  The building of the New Palace, with four stories and the typical corner dome, represents a valuable architectural work of Belgrade construction after World War I. The first floor housed the private and working rooms of the King and Queen: bedrooms with access rooms, cabinets, salons, library and dining hall....

Museum of Nikola Tesla
Museum of Nikola Tesla

The museum preserving the complete heritage of the greatest Serbian scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla is located in the heart of Belgrade, in a beautiful residential villa built in 1929, designed by the notable Serbian architect Dragiša Brašovan. In accordance with Tesla’s last will and testament, his heritage was moved to Belgrade in 1951. The permanent exhibit consists of the original documents, books, magazines, plans and drawings of the greatest Serbian inventor. This is an extremely valuable collection containing over 160,000 original documents, 2,000 books and...

Skadarlija
Skadarlija

Skadarlija as it Once Was This ambiental nook of Belgrade, still standing to this day, is preserved in the area of Skadarska Street around the bohemian Tri šešira inn. These were small houses, but a few of which remain. The house where the Tri šešira inn stands today is typical, built in the second half of the 19th century, the abode of former bohemians. The aqueduct of the Bulbulder waterway with 14 arches once stood in the middle of the mahala, in front of the subsequently built house of Đura Jakšić, as the sole reminder of times gone by. During the 19th...

Republic Square
Republic Square

The existing square was formed after the demolition of Stambol Gate and the construction of the National Theatre building in 1869. Stambol Gate, built by the Austrians at the turn of the 18th century, was located between the monument to Prince Mihailo and the National Theatre. The road to Istanbul (“Stambol”) led through it, lending the gate its name. In popular accounts the Stambol Gate became infamous for the Turkish custom of slaughtering Serbian rebels in front of it, using one of the most horrifying methods of execution – impalement. Following the establishment of...

Museum of Yugoslav History
Museum of Yugoslav History

The Museum of Yugoslav History (MYH), preserves, researches and interprets the cultural heritage of the former country of Yugoslavia. It was founded in 1996, as a result of a merger between the Memorial Centre Josip Broz Tito and the Museum of the Revolution of Yugoslav Nations and Ethnic Minorities. In 2013, it was declared an institution of national  significance. The Museum of Yugoslav History complex consists of three venues that used to be part of the Memorial Centre Josip Broz Tito: the Museum “May 25th” (venue hosting theme-oriented exhibitions), the House of Flowers...

Knez Mihailova
Knez Mihailova

Pedestrian zone and commercial center - Knez Mihailova Street is protected by law since it is one of the oldest and most important monumental urban environments. Knez Mihailova is composed of multiple buildings and representative houses constructed at the end of the 1870s. It is thought that the center of the population of Singidunum was established here during Roman times and that it was full of streets with gardens, fountains and mosques during the Ottoman Empire. After the elaboration of the Regulation of Urban Planning in 1867, the street was constructed rapidly to acquire its current...

Royal Palace
Royal Palace

The Royal Palace in Dedinje was built between 1924 and 1929, on orders by King Alexander I, as the official royal residence. The designers were the architect Živojin Nikolić and the academic Nikolaj Krasnov of the Royal Academy. It is currently home to Crown Prince Alexander II and his family. It is a spacious and representative villa built of white stone in the Serbian-Byzantine style. The palace is surrounded by pergolas, park terraces, pools, a pavilion and a concert terrace. The palace, located on the ridge of a hill, provides a magnificent view of Dedinje, the Košutnjak...

Ethnographic Museum
Ethnographic Museum

The Ethnographic Museum houses a large number of ethnographic items, divided into separate exhibits (household items, jewellery, customs, national costumes, national architecture, economy, stock farming, transportation, cultural artefacts), along with one of the best equipped professional libraries in the Balkans. The permanent exhibit takes up three levels of the building. The first floor represents the popular assembly, the second is related to textile production and the third is about the culture of living. The symbol of the museum is the Dečanska Fountain, located at its centre....

Historical Museum of Serbia
Historical Museum of Serbia

As a complex museum with the task of preserving and enabling communication between the public and the national heritage, the Historical Museum of Serbia collects, preserves, registers and studies materials related to the history of Serbia, maintains and completes museum collections, as well as the information and documentation on them, and makes it available to the public. In addition, through museum exhibitions it responsibly and competently articulates and interprets the knowledge of the past not only of Serbia and the Serbian people, but also of the other peoples and cultures that have...

Terazije Square
Terazije Square

The best known of the Belgrade squares began taking shape during the early 19th century. Prince Miloš Obrenović issued the order that Serbian artisans, particularly smiths and coppersmiths, were to be displaced from the township in the moat and that they are to build their houses and shops on the location of modern-day Terazije. The Belgrade municipality handed out lots on Terazije to all those willing to stake out a plot there. By introducing water to the township of Belgrade, the Turks built towers at fixed intervals along the brick-lined waterworks, to extract water by pipes so...

Nikola Pasic Square
Nikola Pasic Square

It was a barren meadow crossed by the Istanbul Road during the first half of the 19th century. A section of the road gradually became a street first called the “Sokače kod Zlatnog topa” (“Alley at the Golden Cannon”, after a nearby inn), then Markova Street. One of the largest Turkish mosques – Batal Mosque – stood near the place now occupied by the National Assembly, at the beginning of Vlajkovićeva Street. It was demolished in 1869. The square mostly housed ground-level and single-story houses after World War I. One of those housed the Court of the...

Kosancicev venac
Kosancicev venac

Kosancicev venac is located in the heart of the city. Paved with Turkish cobblestones, it has kept the atmosphere of the 19th century, with lovely cafés, galleries and wineries.Right here, on the 6th April 1941, the National Library was bombed and destroyed. Residence of Princess Ljubica, a private residence built by Prince Milos Obrenovic and dedicated to his spouse, is also located in Kosancicev venac. Every Saturday you can find here a lively atmosphere within a tourist tour “A Coffee with Princess Ljubica“ when curator of the Museum of the City of Belgrade dressed as...

Ada Ciganlija
Ada Ciganlija

Ada Ciganlija proudly bears the name of “Belgrade Sea”. Green, clean, equipped and relaxed, it becomes the favourite spot of Belgraders with the first signs of the spring sun. From the early mornings until late into the night, Ada Ciganlija is always lively. Ada Ciganlija was, in fact, turned into a peninsula by human hands, surrounded by an embankment and bounded by the Sava River on one and the Sava Lake on the other side. It has a surface area of approximately 800 hectares and is awarded with the Blue Flag, international recognition for the quality of the beach second year in...

Slavija Square
Slavija Square

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks. The Scotsman Francis McKenzie purchased a large area above the modern-day square and parcelled it up to be resold, and thus its development began. McKenzie built the Peace Hall on Slavija in 1885, as the central building of the settlement, turning into the centre of the workers’ movement in 1910. The “Slavija” cinema stood there after World War II, until it was torn down in 1991. The “Slavija” Hotel was built between 1882 and 1888. The name Slavija originates with the...

Zoo – Garden of Hope
Zoo – Garden of Hope

Founded in 1936, it is one of the oldest animal collections in Europe. It was bombed twice during World War II, first in 1941 by the Nazis, then by the allies in 1944. Nearly all the animals were killed during the bombings, while some escaped their cages and roamed free around town. The contemporary zoo spans a surface area of 6 hectares, with over 2,000 animals from 200 species. On the occasion of its 60th birthday it was presented with a monument to its once most interesting and beloved of residents and the first chimp to arrive at the zoo, the ape Sammy. The Belgrade Zoo is open 365...