Share this page

Belgrade Fortress
Belgrade Fortress
Description

The Belgrade Fortress changed and developed throughout the centuries, it saw many armies, was the field of many battles, it witnessed the brutality of the conquerors and the courage of the tireless defenders of the city. It was the place where Belgrade started to develop.

The Fortress was built in stages, during the lengthy period between the 1st and 18th century, from a Roman castrum, through a Byzantine castle and the remains of the medieval capital of the Serb Despotate, all the way to an Austrian-Ottoman artillery fortification. The complex consists of the fortress itself, divided into the Upper Town (Despot’s Gate, Sahat kula - Clock Tower, Roman Well, Statue of the Victor), Lower Town (Nebojša Tower, Amam – Turkish bath, Gate of Charles VI) and the Kalemegdan Park, home to busts of important persons from Serbian history, science and culture.

The Belgrade Fortress offers an exciting view of the confluence of Sava and Danube, of New Belgrade and Zemun. The Kalemegdan Park contains the “Cvijeta Zuzorić” Pavilion, the Grand Stairway, the zoo, children’s park and a number of monuments and sculptures, several sports courts, a museum, a café and a restaurant.

 

Info
Address
Kalemegdan
Contact
+381 11 26 20 685
Location
Info

Accessible to persons with disabilities

Interactive map

Similar
Slavija Square
Slavija Square

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks. The Scotsman Francis McKenzie purchased a large area above the modern-day square and parcelled it up to be resold, and thus its development began. McKenzie built the Peace Hall on Slavija in 1885, as the central building of the settlement, turning into the centre of the workers’ movement in 1910. The “Slavija” cinema stood there after World War II, until it was torn down in 1991. The “Slavija” Hotel was built between 1882 and 1888. The name Slavija originates with the...

Restaurant Question Mark
Restaurant Question Mark

The oldest of Belgrade inns, The Question mark, is located in Kralja Petra Street 6 and is one of the symbols of Belgrade. Erected in 1823 as the property of Prince Miloš Obrenović, it was built by “masters from Grezia” in the Balkans style. It had changed owners and names since 1878. First it was called “At the Shepherd’s” in 1878, then in 1892 “At the Cathedral Church” but church authorities protested so the owner put the question mark sign at the door as a temporary solution and it remained there to this day. It housed the first billiards...

Ada Ciganlija
Ada Ciganlija

Ada Ciganlija proudly bears the name of “Belgrade Sea”. Green, clean, equipped and relaxed, it becomes the favourite spot of Belgraders with the first signs of the spring sun. From the early mornings until late into the night, Ada Ciganlija is always lively. Ada Ciganlija was, in fact, turned into a peninsula by human hands, surrounded by an embankment and bounded by the Sava River on one and the Sava Lake on the other side. It has a surface area of approximately 800 hectares and is awarded with the Blue Flag, international recognition for the quality of the beach second year in...