Share this page

Knez Mihailova
Knez Mihailova
Description

Pedestrian zone and commercial center - Knez Mihailova Street is protected by law since it is one of the oldest and most important monumental urban environments.

Knez Mihailova is composed of multiple buildings and representative houses constructed at the end of the 1870s. It is thought that the center of the population of Singidunum was established here during Roman times and that it was full of streets with gardens, fountains and mosques during the Ottoman Empire. After the elaboration of the Regulation of Urban Planning in 1867, the street was constructed rapidly to acquire its current physiognomy. It is in this street where influential personalities and rich families of the commercial and political fields of Belgrade got their houses built. In 1870, the Administrative Office of the City designated the current name – Prince Mihailo’s Street.

 

Info
Address
Knez Mihailova
Location
Similar
Kosancicev venac
Kosancicev venac

Kosancicev venac is located in the heart of the city. Paved with Turkish cobblestones, it has kept the atmosphere of the 19th century, with lovely cafés, galleries and wineries.Right here, on the 6th April 1941, the National Library was bombed and destroyed. Residence of Princess Ljubica, a private residence built by Prince Milos Obrenovic and dedicated to his spouse, is also located in Kosancicev venac. Every Saturday you can find here a lively atmosphere within a tourist tour “A Coffee with Princess Ljubica“ when curator of the Museum of the City of Belgrade dressed as...

Slavija Square
Slavija Square

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks. The Scotsman Francis McKenzie purchased a large area above the modern-day square and parcelled it up to be resold, and thus its development began. McKenzie built the Peace Hall on Slavija in 1885, as the central building of the settlement, turning into the centre of the workers’ movement in 1910. The “Slavija” cinema stood there after World War II, until it was torn down in 1991. The “Slavija” Hotel was built between 1882 and 1888. The name Slavija originates with the...

Zemun
Zemun

Once a separate town, Zemun has been a municipality within the city of Belgrade since 1945. People have settled the area of Zemun as far back as the Neolithic, using the favourable position of the banks of the Danube and the Sava. The toponym Zemun arose with the arrival of the Slavs, based on the dugouts (“zemunice”) the first settlers lived in. The history of Zemun as a town in the contemporary sense of the word originates in 1717 with the arrival of the Austrians and its joining the Habsburg Monarchy. It became a significant fortification against Turkey and developed as an...