Share this page

Kosancicev venac
Kosancicev venac
Description

Kosancicev venac is located in the heart of the city. Paved with Turkish cobblestones, it has kept the atmosphere of the 19th century, with lovely cafés, galleries and wineries.
Right here, on the 6th April 1941, the National Library was bombed and destroyed. Residence of Princess Ljubica, a private residence built by Prince Milos Obrenovic and dedicated to his spouse, is also located in Kosancicev venac.

Every Saturday you can find here a lively atmosphere within a tourist tour “A Coffee with Princess Ljubica“ when curator of the Museum of the City of Belgrade dressed as a Princess welcomes visitors. This is a unique opportunity to find out more about life in Belgrade during the reign of the Obrenovic dynasty.Church of St. Arhangel Mihailo is located nearby the Residence, also built by order of Prince Milos Obrenovic.

Two wildely known Serbian reformers Dositej Obradovic and Vuk Karadzic are buried here. Just across the street, the oldest Belgrade kafana Znak pitanja (?) attracts visitors from all over. Kafana is built in typical Balkan style and offers authentic ambience, traditional Serbian dishes and live music.

Info
Location
Info

Kosancicev venac is located in the heart of the city. Paved with Turkish cobblestones, it has kept the atmosphere of the 19th century, with lovely cafés, galleries and wineries.

Similar
Slavija Square
Slavija Square

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks. The Scotsman Francis McKenzie purchased a large area above the modern-day square and parcelled it up to be resold, and thus its development began. McKenzie built the Peace Hall on Slavija in 1885, as the central building of the settlement, turning into the centre of the workers’ movement in 1910. The “Slavija” cinema stood there after World War II, until it was torn down in 1991. The “Slavija” Hotel was built between 1882 and 1888. The name Slavija originates with the...

Restaurant Question Mark
Restaurant Question Mark

The oldest of Belgrade inns, The Question mark, is located in Kralja Petra Street 6 and is one of the symbols of Belgrade. Erected in 1823 as the property of Prince Miloš Obrenović, it was built by “masters from Grezia” in the Balkans style. It had changed owners and names since 1878. First it was called “At the Shepherd’s” in 1878, then in 1892 “At the Cathedral Church” but church authorities protested so the owner put the question mark sign at the door as a temporary solution and it remained there to this day. It housed the first billiards...

Knez Mihailova
Knez Mihailova

Pedestrian zone and commercial center - Knez Mihailova Street is protected by law since it is one of the oldest and most important monumental urban environments. Knez Mihailova is composed of multiple buildings and representative houses constructed at the end of the 1870s. It is thought that the center of the population of Singidunum was established here during Roman times and that it was full of streets with gardens, fountains and mosques during the Ottoman Empire. After the elaboration of the Regulation of Urban Planning in 1867, the street was constructed rapidly to acquire its current...