Share this page

Nikola Pasic Square
Nikola Pasic Square
Description

It was a barren meadow crossed by the Istanbul Road during the first half of the 19th century.

A section of the road gradually became a street first called the “Sokače kod Zlatnog topa” (“Alley at the Golden Cannon”, after a nearby inn), then Markova Street. One of the largest Turkish mosques – Batal Mosque – stood near the place now occupied by the National Assembly, at the beginning of Vlajkovićeva Street. It was demolished in 1869.

The square mostly housed ground-level and single-story houses after World War I. One of those housed the Court of the Belgrade County (better known as the Peasant’s Court), turned into the ill-reputed Gestapo prison during the German occupation. The buildings of the National Assembly, Agrarian Bank, “Vreme” magazine (today’s “Borba”), “Beograd” cinema and a number of other buildings were constructed between the two world wars.

The urban and architectural shaping of the square began immediately after World War II, when the old buildings were demolished, the tram turn was moved, the fountain was built, the fences in front of the former royal garden and National Assembly were removed and a large number of buildings were constructed, including the Dom Sindikata (“Syndicate House”). The square was called Marx & Engels Square for a long time.

Info
Location
Info

It was a barren meadow crossed by the Istanbul Road during the first half of the 19th century.

A section of the road gradually became a street first called the “Sokače kod Zlatnog topa” (“Alley at the Golden Cannon”, after a nearby inn), then Markova Street. One of the largest Turkish mosques – Batal Mosque – stood near the place now occupied by the National Assembly, at the beginning of Vlajkovićeva Street. It was demolished in 1869.

Similar
Slavija Square
Slavija Square

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks. The Scotsman Francis McKenzie purchased a large area above the modern-day square and parcelled it up to be resold, and thus its development began. McKenzie built the Peace Hall on Slavija in 1885, as the central building of the settlement, turning into the centre of the workers’ movement in 1910. The “Slavija” cinema stood there after World War II, until it was torn down in 1991. The “Slavija” Hotel was built between 1882 and 1888. The name Slavija originates with the...

Zemun
Zemun

Once a separate town, Zemun has been a municipality within the city of Belgrade since 1945. People have settled the area of Zemun as far back as the Neolithic, using the favourable position of the banks of the Danube and the Sava. The toponym Zemun arose with the arrival of the Slavs, based on the dugouts (“zemunice”) the first settlers lived in. The history of Zemun as a town in the contemporary sense of the word originates in 1717 with the arrival of the Austrians and its joining the Habsburg Monarchy. It became a significant fortification against Turkey and developed as an...

Knez Mihailova
Knez Mihailova

Pedestrian zone and commercial center - Knez Mihailova Street is protected by law since it is one of the oldest and most important monumental urban environments. Knez Mihailova is composed of multiple buildings and representative houses constructed at the end of the 1870s. It is thought that the center of the population of Singidunum was established here during Roman times and that it was full of streets with gardens, fountains and mosques during the Ottoman Empire. After the elaboration of the Regulation of Urban Planning in 1867, the street was constructed rapidly to acquire its current...