Share this page

Savamala
Savamala
Description

One of the oldest parts of Belgrade, the first to be built outside the walls of Belgrade Fortress and the first that most visitors encounter as it is located next to the train and bus station, Savamala was also once the center of the city. After the pedestrian zone was moved to Knez Mihailova Street, Savamala lingered as an industrial district. Decades later it was transformed into one of the most popular parts of Belgrade, and is now known as an urban design neighborhood. Savamala’s name comes from the river Sava and the Turkish word "mahala", which means settlement or a small town.

Luka Ćelović’s merit

The great Serbian philanthropist and merchant Luka Ćelović was responsible for creating Savamala. He transformed the formerly unattractive and poor areas by the river into today’s buildings, which are almost all monuments to culture. His greatest legacy is Karađorđeva Street.

Geozavod building

Constructed between in 1905 and in 1907 in the spirit of eclecticism with prominent elements of baroque and Art Nouveau, the building of the Geological Institute is one of the anthological examples of contemporary Serbian architecture, and today it is a protected monument.

Hotel Bristol

Built in 1912 in the spirit of classicism, the building was originally the home of the insurance and Credit Cooperative Society of Belgrade. During the World Congress of Bankers and Financial Experts, Belgrade was visited by a member of the famous Rockefeller family, thanks to whom the hotel was renovated.

Branko’s bridge

"The Bridge of King Alexander" was put into operation in December 1934. Belgraders call it "The Sava Bridge" or "The Bridge of Brankova Street." Many believe that it is named after Branko Ćopić, who ended his life by jumping from the bridge, but it and the street are actually named after the poet Branko Radicević.

Info
Location
Info
Knez Mihailova 5 (City Center)

tel. +381 11 26 35 622, +381 11 26 35 343
Mon-Sun. 09-19h
bginfo.knezmihailova@tob.co.rs

Similar
Restaurant Question Mark
Restaurant Question Mark

The oldest of Belgrade inns, The Question mark, is located in Kralja Petra Street 6 and is one of the symbols of Belgrade. Erected in 1823 as the property of Prince Miloš Obrenović, it was built by “masters from Grezia” in the Balkans style. It had changed owners and names since 1878. First it was called “At the Shepherd’s” in 1878, then in 1892 “At the Cathedral Church” but church authorities protested so the owner put the question mark sign at the door as a temporary solution and it remained there to this day. It housed the first billiards...

Republic Square
Republic Square

The existing square was formed after the demolition of Stambol Gate and the construction of the National Theatre building in 1869. Stambol Gate, built by the Austrians at the turn of the 18th century, was located between the monument to Prince Mihailo and the National Theatre. The road to Istanbul (“Stambol”) led through it, lending the gate its name. In popular accounts the Stambol Gate became infamous for the Turkish custom of slaughtering Serbian rebels in front of it, using one of the most horrifying methods of execution – impalement. Following the establishment of...

Skadarlija
Skadarlija

Skadarlija as it Once Was This ambiental nook of Belgrade, still standing to this day, is preserved in the area of Skadarska Street around the bohemian Tri šešira inn. These were small houses, but a few of which remain. The house where the Tri šešira inn stands today is typical, built in the second half of the 19th century, the abode of former bohemians. The aqueduct of the Bulbulder waterway with 14 arches once stood in the middle of the mahala, in front of the subsequently built house of Đura Jakšić, as the sole reminder of times gone by. During the 19th...