Share this page

Slavija Square
Slavija Square
Description

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks.

The Scotsman Francis McKenzie purchased a large area above the modern-day square and parcelled it up to be resold, and thus its development began. McKenzie built the Peace Hall on Slavija in 1885, as the central building of the settlement, turning into the centre of the workers’ movement in 1910. The “Slavija” cinema stood there after World War II, until it was torn down in 1991. The “Slavija” Hotel was built between 1882 and 1888. The name Slavija originates with the chief architect and it stuck to this day, remaining as the name of the entire Square. The other smaller buildings at the corner of Kralja Milana Street and the square, housing the famous “Tri seljaka” (“Three Peasants”) and “Rudničanin” inns, were torn down before and during World War II. The new hotel “Slavija” was erected in 1962. The square bore the name of the prominent leader of the socialist movement in Serbia Dimitrije Tucović for a while, with his monument set up at the centre of the square. Slavija is one of the main landmarks of Belgrade, an important nexus of traffic, but also an incomplete urbanistic environment with considerable work remaining to be done. Slavija is also one of the most demanding roundabouts you will encounter.

 

Info
Location
Info

The square was a marshy pond prior to 1880, where the citizens of Belgrade hunted wild ducks.

 

Similar
Restaurant Question Mark
Restaurant Question Mark

The oldest of Belgrade inns, The Question mark, is located in Kralja Petra Street 6 and is one of the symbols of Belgrade. Erected in 1823 as the property of Prince Miloš Obrenović, it was built by “masters from Grezia” in the Balkans style. It had changed owners and names since 1878. First it was called “At the Shepherd’s” in 1878, then in 1892 “At the Cathedral Church” but church authorities protested so the owner put the question mark sign at the door as a temporary solution and it remained there to this day. It housed the first billiards...

Kosancicev venac
Kosancicev venac

Kosancicev venac is located in the heart of the city. Paved with Turkish cobblestones, it has kept the atmosphere of the 19th century, with lovely cafés, galleries and wineries.Right here, on the 6th April 1941, the National Library was bombed and destroyed. Residence of Princess Ljubica, a private residence built by Prince Milos Obrenovic and dedicated to his spouse, is also located in Kosancicev venac. Every Saturday you can find here a lively atmosphere within a tourist tour “A Coffee with Princess Ljubica“ when curator of the Museum of the City of Belgrade dressed as...

Ada Ciganlija
Ada Ciganlija

Ada Ciganlija proudly bears the name of “Belgrade Sea”. Green, clean, equipped and relaxed, it becomes the favourite spot of Belgraders with the first signs of the spring sun. From the early mornings until late into the night, Ada Ciganlija is always lively. Ada Ciganlija was, in fact, turned into a peninsula by human hands, surrounded by an embankment and bounded by the Sava River on one and the Sava Lake on the other side. It has a surface area of approximately 800 hectares and is awarded with the Blue Flag, international recognition for the quality of the beach second year in...