The Zemun Park is located within the protected area of the cultural-historical environment of the Old Heart of Zemun and is the oldest green oasis of Zemunians.
The beginning of the development of Zemun as a city is tied to the Austro-Turkish wars near the end of the 17th and the early 18th century. The most intensive development occurred after 1717 when the area became part of the Austrian Empire. In order to improve trading communication between Turkey and Austria, a “kontumac” was opened in 1730, a type of quarantine station for goods and persons crossing the border.
Zemun was awarded the status of free royal town in 1871 and this spurred the vitality of the economic, social and cultural life. The construction of a park in place of the former quarantine was proposed. Initially, after the erection of the representative building of the Great Lyceum (“Realka”) and its opening in 1880, the field around it and around the temples of the orthodox and catholic chapels was planted and arranged, thereby creating the Small Park. Those were the roots of the contemporary City Park.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry was erected on part of the park grounds in 1932. The two chapels, incidentally, represent the sole remains of the former quarantine in Zemun. Among the numerous monuments of the park is the monument erected in 1933 to Alphonse de Lamartine, the French poet, to mark the hundred year anniversary of his sojourn in the Zemun quarantine.