Share this page

Friendship Park
Friendship Park
Description

A unique park started to grow and flourish on New Belgrade, where a new city was being born after World War II – Friendship Park, also known as Peace Park.

It is located in the spot where a branch of the Danube meets the Sava. This part of New Belgrade is one of the most representative areas of the city. The park was created in 1961 at the initiative of the Youth Nature Conservation Movement (“Pokret mladih gorana”) of Belgrade, marking the First Conference of the Heads of States and Governments of the Non-aligned Countries.

The central motif of the park is the Alley of Peace. In addition to the 26 sycamore trees planted by notable statesmen, the central section of the alley contains the stylized sculpture of a petrified flower by the sculptor Lidija Mišić. The planted sycamores were the forerunner of the subsequent green complex where over a hundred of the most noted statesmen of the world left their mark with birches, lindens, maples and other plants.

Info
Location
Info

Friendship Park

Similar
Manjez Park
Manjez Park

The Manjez Park, named after a riding school, is located in the city centre. It was the place where the barracks of the Regimental Guard Cavalry were located until 1931. The park was built between 1931 and 1933, based on the designs from the General Plan from 1923. The park planner, engineer Aleksandar Krstić, is a pioneer of modern horticulture in the region. The park is one of the few green environments in the heart of the city, built between the two world wars and shaped according to the principles of the classicist style....

Kalemegdan Park
Kalemegdan Park

The oldest of the city parks was created in 1870. It is a green environment within and around the Belgrade Fortress, known as Kalemegdan Park, including the Great and Small Kalemegdan, i.e. the Upper and Lower Town. Recognizing the exquisite value of the salient ridge of Belgrade, the first Serbian urbanist Emilijan Joksimović proposed the idea that the City Field, Kalemegdan, be turned into a “wondrous park”. The first planting of Kalemegdan was undertaken between 1869 and 1875 and the main Sava Alley was planted in 1886. The monuments erected during the past hundred and fifteen...

Topcider Park
Topcider Park

One of the oldest parks in Belgrade, Topčider, is located in the valley of the Topčider River. The name Topčider stems from the Turkish word topči – cannoneer and the Persian word der – valley. An artillery camp once stood there where the Turks cast cannons to attack Belgrade in 1521, during the siege of Belgrade. Later it became the favourite picnic ground of the pashas of Belgrade. The residence of Prince Miloš Obrenović was built there during his reign, as the chief building of the residential complex. Accessways were built in parallel with the construction of the...