Share this page

Kalemegdan Park
Kalemegdan Park
Description

The oldest of the city parks was created in 1870. It is a green environment within and around the Belgrade Fortress, known as Kalemegdan Park, including the Great and Small Kalemegdan, i.e. the Upper and Lower Town.

Recognizing the exquisite value of the salient ridge of Belgrade, the first Serbian urbanist Emilijan Joksimović proposed the idea that the City Field, Kalemegdan, be turned into a “wondrous park”. The first planting of Kalemegdan was undertaken between 1869 and 1875 and the main Sava Alley was planted in 1886. The monuments erected during the past hundred and fifteen years provide the Kalemegdan Park with a particular value.

Info
Location
Info

Kalemegdan Park

Similar
Manjez Park
Manjez Park

The Manjez Park, named after a riding school, is located in the city centre. It was the place where the barracks of the Regimental Guard Cavalry were located until 1931. The park was built between 1931 and 1933, based on the designs from the General Plan from 1923. The park planner, engineer Aleksandar Krstić, is a pioneer of modern horticulture in the region. The park is one of the few green environments in the heart of the city, built between the two world wars and shaped according to the principles of the classicist style....

Academic Park
Academic Park

The Academic Park is located on the Students’ Square. The location of the square was part of the civilian settlement of Singidunum during Roman times. There are few data on the appearance and function of the area during the middle ages. It was used for military exercises during the Austrian rule of Belgrade during the 18th century, while it served as a place for prayers during Turkish rule, as well as a graveyard that remained until the eighteen-sixties. During the third decade of the 19th century the Serbian authorities opened a market or “pazarište” on...

Kosutnjak
Kosutnjak

The forest-park and picnic grounds of Košutnjak extend over a surface of 330 hectares, at an altitude of 250 m above sea level. The forest of deciduous and evergreen trees is crisscrossed by numerous footpaths. Košutnjak was likely named after does (“košuta”), once present in the forest. The thick forest was a closed palace hunting ground until 1903, when it was opened to the public.  Košutnjak contains two specially arranged complexes: the sports and recreation centre “Pioneer City” and the Film City with a complex of ateliers and...