Share this page

Karadjordje’s Park
Karadjordje’s Park
Description

Karadjordje’s Park is located on the slopes of western Vračar, in the exact spot where the camp of the main insurgent army of Karadjordje stood in 1806.

During the charge against the Belgrade Fortress and its capture, approximately fifty insurgents were killed. They were carried to the camp and buried there on orders by Karadjordje.

The graves of those killed were marked by their families with stone markers, some of them surviving to this day. The graveyard of the time was located next to the road to Kragujevac. It was fenced off and planted with black locust trees, thus it may be considered to represent the roots of public park construction in Belgrade.

Karadjordje’s son, Prince Alexander, erected a monument in 1848 on the graves of his father’s compatriots. This monument to the Liberators of Belgrade from 1806 represents the first public monument in Belgrade. During the arrangement of the environs various trees were planted, along with an alley of chestnuts. The park was expanded between 1903 and 1907 and an artificial hill was built. The Monument to the Conscripts of the Third Call was presented in 1923 honouring the Serbian soldiers who died during World War I, followed by the monument to Alphonse de Lamartine, the French poet, the monument to the International Brigades in Spain between 1936 and 1939, erected in 1950, as well as the Memorial monument to the victims of the bombing of Belgrade on April 6, 1941, erected in 1975.

Info
Location
Info

Karadjordje’s Park

Similar
City Park in Zemun
City Park in Zemun

The Zemun Park is located within the protected area of the cultural-historical environment of the Old Heart of Zemun and is the oldest green oasis of Zemunians.  The beginning of the development of Zemun as a city is tied to the Austro-Turkish wars near the end of the 17th and the early 18th century. The most intensive development occurred after 1717 when the area became part of the Austrian Empire. In order to improve trading communication between Turkey and Austria, a “kontumac” was opened in 1730, a type of quarantine station for goods and persons crossing the...

Tasmajdan Park
Tasmajdan Park

The word tašmajdan means rock quarry or rocky field in Turkish, therefore the entire neighbourhood, with the quarry itself, was named Tašmajdan. A graveyard was formed in the area during the eighteen-twenties, remaining there until 1886.  Tašmajdan was designed as a city park by the general urbanist plan from 1950, with a sports and recreation centre at its lower end. The initial plans for part of the park were drawn by the architect Aleksandar Đorđević, while the horticultural plans were drawn by the engineer Vladeta Đorđević. The construction of the water...

Kosutnjak
Kosutnjak

The forest-park and picnic grounds of Košutnjak extend over a surface of 330 hectares, at an altitude of 250 m above sea level. The forest of deciduous and evergreen trees is crisscrossed by numerous footpaths. Košutnjak was likely named after does (“košuta”), once present in the forest. The thick forest was a closed palace hunting ground until 1903, when it was opened to the public.  Košutnjak contains two specially arranged complexes: the sports and recreation centre “Pioneer City” and the Film City with a complex of ateliers and...