Share this page

Kosutnjak
Kosutnjak
Description

The forest-park and picnic grounds of Košutnjak extend over a surface of 330 hectares, at an altitude of 250 m above sea level.

The forest of deciduous and evergreen trees is crisscrossed by numerous footpaths. Košutnjak was likely named after does (“košuta”), once present in the forest. The thick forest was a closed palace hunting ground until 1903, when it was opened to the public.

 Košutnjak contains two specially arranged complexes: the sports and recreation centre “Pioneer City” and the Film City with a complex of ateliers and other facilities and devices for film production. The Košutnjak Sports Centre contains courts for football, athletic competitions, volleyball, basketball, handball, five open and one closed swimming pool. Both summer and winter ski slopes operate on Košutnjak for winter sports enthusiasts. The Hajdučka česma drinking fountain is located at the foot of the hill, where the hunting grounds of the Obrenović family once stood. The “Košutnjak” Camp, “Trim” Hotel and the restaurants “Košuta”, “Golf”, “Devetka”, “Filmski grad” and “Panorama” are also located on Košutnjak.

Info
Location
Info

Kosutnjak

Similar
Manjez Park
Manjez Park

The Manjez Park, named after a riding school, is located in the city centre. It was the place where the barracks of the Regimental Guard Cavalry were located until 1931. The park was built between 1931 and 1933, based on the designs from the General Plan from 1923. The park planner, engineer Aleksandar Krstić, is a pioneer of modern horticulture in the region. The park is one of the few green environments in the heart of the city, built between the two world wars and shaped according to the principles of the classicist style....

Tasmajdan Park
Tasmajdan Park

The word tašmajdan means rock quarry or rocky field in Turkish, therefore the entire neighbourhood, with the quarry itself, was named Tašmajdan. A graveyard was formed in the area during the eighteen-twenties, remaining there until 1886.  Tašmajdan was designed as a city park by the general urbanist plan from 1950, with a sports and recreation centre at its lower end. The initial plans for part of the park were drawn by the architect Aleksandar Đorđević, while the horticultural plans were drawn by the engineer Vladeta Đorđević. The construction of the water...

Topcider Park
Topcider Park

One of the oldest parks in Belgrade, Topčider, is located in the valley of the Topčider River. The name Topčider stems from the Turkish word topči – cannoneer and the Persian word der – valley. An artillery camp once stood there where the Turks cast cannons to attack Belgrade in 1521, during the siege of Belgrade. Later it became the favourite picnic ground of the pashas of Belgrade. The residence of Prince Miloš Obrenović was built there during his reign, as the chief building of the residential complex. Accessways were built in parallel with the construction of the...