Share this page

Pioneer Park
Pioneer Park
Description

 The Pioneer Park is located in the very heart of the city.

The field where the park is located was a barren and swampy environment during the early 19th century, covered in bulrush. The grounds were purchased by one of the more prominent persons in Serbia at the end of the eighteen-thirties, Stojan Simić, who constructed the house later to be named the Old Residence. It was sold thereafter, along with the gardens, to the state, to be repurposed as the court of Prince Alexander Karageorgevich.

 The New Court was erected during the early decades of the 20th century, based on the designs of the architect Stojan Titelbah and it currently houses the Cabinet of the President of Serbia. During the mid-19th century the space before the Old Residence was a park, with planted trees. The appearance of the garden changed in time. At first it was arranged in the style of the wealthier Serbian houses, with tall rose bushes. Subsequently it was altered more in line with the European style, with alleys of colourful flowers forming geometric patterns.

 The fences were removed and the fountain was buried after World War II, as part of the communal works in the city, and the listed facilities and court garden were opened to the public. The name was also changed, becoming Pioneer Park. The approximate original appearance of the garden was recently reconstructed in the space between the two palaces, with the fountain as the central motif.

Info
Location
Info

Pioneer Park

Similar
Kosutnjak
Kosutnjak

The forest-park and picnic grounds of Košutnjak extend over a surface of 330 hectares, at an altitude of 250 m above sea level. The forest of deciduous and evergreen trees is crisscrossed by numerous footpaths. Košutnjak was likely named after does (“košuta”), once present in the forest. The thick forest was a closed palace hunting ground until 1903, when it was opened to the public.  Košutnjak contains two specially arranged complexes: the sports and recreation centre “Pioneer City” and the Film City with a complex of ateliers and...

City Park in Zemun
City Park in Zemun

The Zemun Park is located within the protected area of the cultural-historical environment of the Old Heart of Zemun and is the oldest green oasis of Zemunians.  The beginning of the development of Zemun as a city is tied to the Austro-Turkish wars near the end of the 17th and the early 18th century. The most intensive development occurred after 1717 when the area became part of the Austrian Empire. In order to improve trading communication between Turkey and Austria, a “kontumac” was opened in 1730, a type of quarantine station for goods and persons crossing the...

Tasmajdan Park
Tasmajdan Park

The word tašmajdan means rock quarry or rocky field in Turkish, therefore the entire neighbourhood, with the quarry itself, was named Tašmajdan. A graveyard was formed in the area during the eighteen-twenties, remaining there until 1886.  Tašmajdan was designed as a city park by the general urbanist plan from 1950, with a sports and recreation centre at its lower end. The initial plans for part of the park were drawn by the architect Aleksandar Đorđević, while the horticultural plans were drawn by the engineer Vladeta Đorđević. The construction of the water...