The word tašmajdan means rock quarry or rocky field in Turkish, therefore the entire neighbourhood, with the quarry itself, was named Tašmajdan.
A graveyard was formed in the area during the eighteen-twenties, remaining there until 1886.
Tašmajdan was designed as a city park by the general urbanist plan from 1950, with a sports and recreation centre at its lower end. The initial plans for part of the park were drawn by the architect Aleksandar Đorđević, while the horticultural plans were drawn by the engineer Vladeta Đorđević. The construction of the water cascades was cancelled during the works, replaced by floor greenery that represents the main motif of the park today.