The building housing the Gallery of the Museum of Natural History is one of the oldest buildings, erected between 1825 and 1835 within the complex of the Belgrade Fortress.
It was built to be used by the sentries guarding the main approach to the Stambol Gate.
The remains of animals from the Ice Age (spiral twisted tusks of a woolly mammoth, the skull of a woolly rhinoceros, vertebra of a cave bear, horn of a giant deer) and fossil remains indicating that the area of Belgrade was the location of a warm Pannonian Sea fifteen million years ago (shells, corals, “beogradica” snails, tooth of the Carcharocles Megalodon shark) are particularly attractive items in the permanent exhibit.
Address: Mali Kalemegdan 5
Open: 10-21h (April-October), 10-17h (November-March), closed on Mondays
Accessible to persons with disabilities
Telephone: +381 11 32 84 317