Share this page

Historical Museum of Serbia
Historical Museum of Serbia

As a complex museum with the task of preserving and enabling communication between the public and the national heritage, the Historical Museum of Serbia collects, preserves, registers and studies materials related to the history of Serbia, maintains and completes museum collections, as well as the information and documentation on them, and makes it available to the public. In addition, through museum exhibitions it responsibly and competently articulates and interprets the knowledge of the past not only of Serbia and the Serbian people, but also of the other peoples and cultures that have lived and still live in the territory of Serbia from the Middle Ages to the present. It was established in 1963. Since 1966, the Residence of Prince Miloš in Topčider has been incorporated into the Museum. At present, the Museum has over 35.000 objects within its fund, kept in 25 collections.

Museum locations:

Djure Jakšića 9 (Administrative Building)

Working hours: weekdays 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Telephones: +381 (11) 3287 242; 3287 243; 2187 360



Trg Nikole Pašića 11 (exhibition space)

Working hours: every day except Mondays 12 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Telephone: +381 (11) 3398 018


Residence of Prince Miloš Obrenović in Topčider

Rakovički put bb

Working hours: every day except Mondays 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Telephone: +381 (11) 2660 422

Public transport: tram no. 3


Admission fees: 200 RSD for adults, 100 RSD for school children, students and seniors

Group visits are available. Reservations must be made by phone or e-mail. For further information please call (011) 3287 243; 060/3398 018; (011) 2660 422; or e-mail or


From the Museum’s offer


The Karadjordjević and Obrenović dynasties in the Collections of the Historical Museum of Serbia (Trg Nikole Pašića 11)


In the year of celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Historical Museum of Serbia opened a part of its refurbished space with the representative exhibition The Karadjordjević and Obrenović dynasties in the Collections of the Historical Museum of Serbia, dedicated to the two ruling dynasties in Serbia which contributed to the liberation from the centuries-long Ottoman rule and the creation of the modern Serbian state.

The author of the exhibition concept is Andrej Vujnović, and of the exhibition design Izabela Martinov Tomović.

The visitors can see over four hundred objects that belonged to the founders of the two ruling dynasties – Vožd Karadjordje and Knez Miloš – as well as to the members of their extended families: the weapons used in the First Serbian Uprising, the royal insignia of Peter I Karadjordjević, and objects used in their everyday life.

These objects, which provide a better insight into the material traces of the Serbian history of the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries, belong to one of the most valuable groups of objects kept in the Museum Collections.

Guided tours are available every Wednesday at 5 p.m. and Saturday at 1 p.m.


Residence of Prince Miloš


A new permanent exhibition of the Historical Museum of Serbia has been put on display in the Residence of Prince Miloš in Topčider.

On the ground floor, the visitors can see six ambient units within the exhibition named Life in 19th-century Serbia, which deals with the changes of life style in 19th-century Serbia: the ambience of an Oriental town house as well as the typical interior of a European town house partially reconstructed, the differences between rural and urban households through the culture of food/nutrition, the intimate world of an individual, the creation of public spaces, and travelling – another important aspect of the life of an individual in 19th-century Serbia.

The ground floor also provides a few basic facts about Topčider, the suburb of Belgrade at the time, where Prince Miloš in 1831 built one of his official residences, as well as about its inextricable connection with the memory of Prince Miloš and the Obrenović dynasty. The famous Topčider Park, which surrounds the residence, became a favourite Belgrade resort in the second half of the 19th century.

The exhibition on the upper floor named Miloš Obrenović – a dynasty, history, myth, is dedicated to Prince Miloš, the creator of modern Serbian state and to his immeasurable contribution to the liberation from the centuries-long Ottoman rule, as well as to the many significant roles played by his successors during 19th-century Serbian history: the creation of the modern Serbian state and its struggle for independence, the evolution of its modern political and social institutions, the rise of education, culture and science, and the development of the economy and social life. 

The authors of the exhibition concept on the ground floor are Katarina Mitrović and Dragana Spasojević, and of the concept on upper floor Katarina Mitrović, Nebojša Damnjanović and Vladimir Merenik. The author of the exhibition design is Borjana Šuvaković.


DJure Jaksica 9
+381 (11) 3287 242 +381 11 3287 243 +381 11 2187 360
Opening Hours

Thuesday-Friday00.00 - 17.00

Saturday00.00 - 17.00

Sunday00.00 - 17.00


Manak’s House
Manak’s House

Manak’s House is an integral part of the Ethnographic Museum, an example of old Balkan urban architecture, housing a particularly significant and valuable ethnographic memorial collection by Hristifor Crnilović. The collection contains approximately 2,600 items, mostly costumes and jewellery of immense cultural value. The costumes hail from the regions of South Serbia, Kosovo, Metohija and Macedonia. The collection is completed by examples of embroidery, textiles, towels, bags, carpets from Pirot and household items. The jewellery is particularly valuable, especially the jewellery worn...

Museum of Vuk and Dositej
Museum of Vuk and Dositej

Founded in 1949, it is located in the building of the former Grand School, opened in 1808 as a lyceum by the great Serb luminary and first Serbian Minister of Education Dositej Obradović. The museum contains a professional library, with a small reading room and consists of two parts – the ground floor contains an exhibit dedicated to Dositej Obradović, while the first floor is dedicated to Vuk Stefanović Karadžić....

Museum of Pedagogy
Museum of Pedagogy

The Museum of Pedagogy was founded in 1896 by the Teachers’ Association of Serbia with the mission to collect and preserve teaching aids and all other assets of pedagogical and historical significance for primary schools and teachers.The museum was, unfortunately, completely destroyed in both world wars. The museum was rebuilt and modernised after 1945, and has been working since 1969 with the permanent exhibit “Ten Centuries of Serbian School in the Building of the Belgrade Lyceum (Realka)”. The visitors are introduced to the history of schools in Serbia from the...