Share this page

Museum of Natural History
Museum of Natural History
Description

The Museum of Natural History was founded in 1895 under the name “Jestastvenički muzej“, as the first specialized institution dealing with the natural heritage of the nation. The first exhibit was opened in 1904.
A temporary location houses the natural and cultural heritage in 117 naturalist collections, with approximately 1,500,000 various items from Serbia, the Balkan Peninsula, and the world. The mineralogical, petrological, fossil and recent mollusc, insect, bird and mammal collections stand out regarding the number of items, along with the General Herbarium of the Balkan Peninsula.
The Museum of Natural History does not have a permanent exhibit. Exhibitions are presented in the Gallery of the Museum of Natural History.

Info
Address
 Address: Njegoseva 51, Belgrade (administrative building)
Contact
+381 11 34 42 147 +381 11 34 42 149
Opening Hours

Open: 09-17h

Similar
Museum of Science and Technology
Museum of Science and Technology

The museum was founded in 1989 at the initiative of the academic Aleksandar Despić, the Serbian Academy of Science and Arts and the support of twelve economic organizations. The museum became an institution of the Republic in 2003, while in late 2005 it was awarded the building of the first public thermoelectric plant in Dorćol. The project for the reconstruction and expansion of the Museum of Science and Technology, by the author Boris Podreka, is being undertaken as part of the National Investment Plan of the Republic of Serbia. Despite the ongoing reconstruction, over 2,500 m² of...

Museum of Vuk and Dositej
Museum of Vuk and Dositej

Founded in 1949, it is located in the building of the former Grand School, opened in 1808 as a lyceum by the great Serb luminary and first Serbian Minister of Education Dositej Obradović. The museum contains a professional library, with a small reading room and consists of two parts – the ground floor contains an exhibit dedicated to Dositej Obradović, while the first floor is dedicated to Vuk Stefanović Karadžić....

Residence of Prince Milos
Residence of Prince Milos

Having built a residence for his wife and children in the city of Belgrade, Prince Miloš Obrenović erected a residence for himself in Topčider during the period between 1831 and 1834. The rich interior decoration on the ceilings, walls and niches is partially preserved to this day. During his first reign Prince Miloš only resided there occasionally, while he spent the last two years of his second reign at the Residence, dying there in 1860.   One of the oldest and most beautiful sycamore trees in Europe grows in front of this building, over 160 years old and preserved...