Share this page

Museum of the Yugoslav Film Archive
Museum of the Yugoslav Film Archive
Description

The Museum of the Yugoslav Film Archive in Belgrade, founded in 1952, is a specialized film theatre showing classic works of local and international cinema.

 The film collection of the Yugoslav Film Archive represents one of the most significant and plentiful film collections in Europe.

It houses more than 85,000 copies of films, both silent and sound, black and white and colour. These are the most important archive materials and documentary footage related to the territory of the former Yugoslavia, starting with the oldest preserved local film “Crowning of King Petar I” from 1904. The collection of foreign films, making up 80% of the collection of the Yugoslav Film Archive, contains all of the most valuable works from the history of world cinema.

 The most precious artefacts in the museum are “Magic Lantern” (1890), a camera of the Lumière brothers (1896), the head of an Edison cinetoscope (1893), the first “Pate Frer” studio film camera  (1903), the forerunner of the record player – the polyphone (1860), Edison’s phonograph (1908) and an array of cameras, projectors and sound devices.

 

 

Info
Address
Kosovska 11
Contact
+381 11 32 48 250
Location
Opening Hours

 Open: prior to scheduled film projections

Similar
Museum of Pedagogy
Museum of Pedagogy

The Museum of Pedagogy was founded in 1896 by the Teachers’ Association of Serbia with the mission to collect and preserve teaching aids and all other assets of pedagogical and historical significance for primary schools and teachers.The museum was, unfortunately, completely destroyed in both world wars. The museum was rebuilt and modernised after 1945, and has been working since 1969 with the permanent exhibit “Ten Centuries of Serbian School in the Building of the Belgrade Lyceum (Realka)”. The visitors are introduced to the history of schools in Serbia from the...

Museum of Automobiles
Museum of Automobiles

The building housing the museum was built in 1929 as the first public garage in the city centre, designed by the Russian architect Valeri Stashevski. It was named “Modern Garage” and declared a cultural heritage item. It housed the automobiles used in the First International Automobile Race held in 1939 in Belgrade.  The collection contains a unique display of 50 old and rare automobiles – the oldest of them being a Marot Gardon from 1897, as well as the license plates, drivers’ licenses, the first traffic regulations and photographic recordings of the birth of...

Residence of Prince Milos
Residence of Prince Milos

Having built a residence for his wife and children in the city of Belgrade, Prince Miloš Obrenović erected a residence for himself in Topčider during the period between 1831 and 1834. The rich interior decoration on the ceilings, walls and niches is partially preserved to this day. During his first reign Prince Miloš only resided there occasionally, while he spent the last two years of his second reign at the Residence, dying there in 1860.   One of the oldest and most beautiful sycamore trees in Europe grows in front of this building, over 160 years old and preserved...